Dear 43 Things Users,

10 years after introducing 43 Things to the world, we have decided we have met our last goal: completing the incredible experience that has been 43 Things. Please join us in giving one last cheer to all the folks who have shared their goals with the world, as well as all the people who have worked at The Robot Co-op to build this incredible website. We won a Webby Award, published a book, and brought happiness to a lot of people.

Starting today, 43 Things users can export their goals and entries from the site. Starting August 15, we will make the site “read only”. 43 Things users will still be able to view the site and export their content, but we won’t be taking any new content from users. We hope to leave the site up for folks to see and download their content until the end of the year. Ending on New Year’s Eve takes us full circle.

It has been a long ride (one of our original goals was to "build a company that lasts at least 2 years” - we beat that one!) While we wish the site could live on, it has suffered from a number of challenges - changes in how people use the site, the advertising industry, and how search engines view the site. We wish the outcome was different – but we’ve always been realistic about when our goals are met and when they aren't.

As of today, you will be able to download your goals and entries. See more about that on the FAQ page. Thanks for 10 great years of goal-setting and achieving.

- The Robots.

Export My Content
FAQ
list my "someday" goals (read all 10 entries…)
Do something drastic with my appearance

I’ve been thinking of interesting, self-expressing things I could do for quite a while, and it’s starting to feel like the right time to try it. Especially now, since I always get a “make changes and start over” feeling when I get back to normal life after a holiday. It’ll probably take the form of either a major hairstyle change (I’ve never ever had it shorter than below the shoulders, and I’m thinking of getting it cut short and shaggy) or getting a tattoo (I know exactly what I want and where, it’s just a matter of finding the courage!)

The motivation and courage to do something drastic (I know they’re not really huge things, but they feel big to me) comes and goes so I’m not sure exactly when I’ll do this, but I’d like to have done something by the end of the summer.

Comments:

Snap!

That’s about where I want mine too – pretty much on my bikini line just inside my left hipbone. I’m hoping that’s low enough that the skin won’t stretch too much if and when I have children. I did consider getting a larger one that would run from the top of my thigh over my hip and onto my lower stomach, but that would cost a fortune and hurt like hell, and long-term would get wrecked when I was pregnant, so I think I’ll go for the small version.

I hadn’t been getting notifications since last night either, but when I checked my mail just now I had a bunch of messages claiming to be delivery failure notices, but which were actually replies to my entries. Weirdity.

(This comment was deleted.)

A dragon, of course :o)

Jay had a big blue and silver dragon on his right shoulder, and I have a couple photos of it that are clear enough to be able to reproduce the design. When he died I promised myself I’d get that tattoo someday, but didn’t want to rush into it in case I decided after a couple years that I didn’t want it after all; but it’s almost 5 years now and I still want it, and it feels right.

I haven’t decided on the colours yet – I may stick with blue and silver or I may go for red and black – but either way it’ll be that design.

(This comment was deleted.)

Jay

was my fiancé. I met him online in early 2000, when I was finishing high school, and we became friends and then more than friends. We started talking on the phone almost every day for hours at a time. I went to meet him (he lived in the US, in Illinois) at Christmas of 2001/02, spent three weeks with him and very nearly didn’t come home. I had only a few months more of college, though, so I came back and finished that, then moved over, supposedly permanently, in May 02. The plan was that I’d spend three months – as long as I legally could – over there, then he’d come to Ireland with me and spend three months here, and then we’d get married. I’d only been there nine days, though, when he had a massive asthma attack caused by an unsuspected allergy. He was in a coma for two days, and then he died.

June 1st is his anniversary. I was thinking maybe I’d get my tattoo then, but that’s only a few days away now and I don’t want to rush it. It’ll still be meaningful no matter when I get it. I used to worry that it was unhealthy to want so permanent a reminder of him, but now, as well as how important his memory will always be to me, it symbolises the courage I once had to throw caution to the winds and follow my heart.

I want to:
43 Things Login