catattack is thankful baseball is right around the corner!

live to see the legalization of gay marriage (read all 5 entries…)
How can I help this along?

Support those political candidates who are pro-gay marriage (meaning, not necessarily hyping the project, but leaning towards it)? Being more “out” myself? Applauding those publicly who even mention the subject in a positive way?

Yeah!!!

Comments:

I'm not so sure there IS much you can do to help it along...

...in any major way.

I think it’s one of those things that is best supported and changed by the way one lives one’s life and also doing the common ordinary things one can.

Live YOUR life like it’s legal, as much as you can do so, vote for those people who seem to support your views, speak intelligently to your friends about it, speak to people who listen as you’re doing here, talk to your kids and nieces and nephews…to kids...intelligently about the subject.

I think people, especially gay people, are entitled to scream and bellow about the unfairness, hate, bigotry, stupidity, and meanness of the whole thing…but I also think that doesn’t get them anywhere very much.

See? Listen to that queer! That’s what I’m talking about…

I see the tide shifting over the past couple years and it is seeming to gain momentum. It can’t be stopped…and though I understand your chagrin and eagerness to have it change NOW…it will be largely sane shortly.

Just hold on a bit longer.

And this is more than just an academic discussion for me.

I have homos living in MY house, too…

And as if THAT weren’t sinful enough, one is half Puerto Rican, half Italian…and the other…shhh…colored!

What you're asking for is patience...

right? Gosh, I’ve been waiting for this for over 50 years now. I’m running out of patience, I must admit.

Thank you so much for your comments. They are much appreciated.

What else can you do but wait?

You may as well be patient.

Look, what are the alternatives?

I suppose I’m about your age, I’m 59, and grew up during the 60’s…I roused the rabble as best I could back then.

But, how would you suggest doing that now?

To ask it another way, what do you imagine might make things better, faster?

I see things changing for the better even over the past couple or three years.

It WILL come.

And I’m not suggesting no one do anything...law suits help, positive public relations help…all these things help the macro picture.

I just think there are few things, if anything, most “normal” folks can do…except…change and tweak those that they can in their sphere of influence.

Small and steady changes make for big ones eventually.

Well…or I could be full of shit…

We're exactly the same age...

and it sounds like we’ve been through similar things as we grew up.

I’m not the kind of person to suggest that chaining ourselves to the county courthouse would be a good thing (although there is a lot of evidence to suggest that such things HAVE moved causes along). But I think if all of us who believed in this cause put our VOTES to work in this election, towards the candidate that gave the most cohesive answer to this issue, THEN we might see some change.

We tried to do that when Bill Clinton was elected. Unfortunately, he was unable to carry out his promises in this regard due to overwhelming resistance from the Dark Side.

God, Cat...you don't realize what we are going to be getting into here.

I am SO jaded, so cynical about our politicians that I have forever refused to vote.

Never once.

And I have to tell you that I was almost sucked in (you’ll pardon the expression) by Clinton.

..ahem…

Almost.

He said all the right things…got elected without my help, I pulled back at just the last minute. I even registered to vote.

And what did the asshole do?

Don’t ask, don’t tell.

That’s just one example, but it seems cogent to our discussion here.

ALL politicians are spineless liars, thieves and idiots.

I want nothing to do with any of them.

Roll in dog shit, smell like dog shit.

A tad cynical…yeah.

redbandita does NOT want to be facebooked, twittered or shared.

As long as they aren't...

...openly atheist. (Just sayin’.)

I TRIED to raise little atheists...

...I don’t think I did too well on that score.

My boy seems to be an atheist.

But…

My oldest girl believes in some sort of a god, but can’t quite tie it down for me.

And the little homo believes in god, she says, but won’t allow me to fence with her long enough to figure out what she’s really talking about.

Thank god, at least, that none of them are religious.

I don’t think I could stand that.

I want to:
43 Things Login