become a monk
I want the focus and discipline

I’ve been on the edge of the monastic world for more than 25 years, and I think it’s time to take the plunge. At the end of this week, I leave for a “vocational retreat” with a Benedictine community in New Mexico. Ora pro me.

Addendum As it happened, heavy snow in Denver bollixed up my plans to visit the Benedictines in Abiquiu. Fortunately, I was able to arrange a last-minute trip to the Cistercians in Wisconsin. I think I’m in love. Seriously, the retreat went well enough that I’ve been in correspondence with them about the next step. Ora pro me.

Update, Fall 2009 I entered the Cistercian Abbey of Our Lady of Spring Bank back in July, and I’m now several months into my postulancy. I’m still not 100% clear that this really should be my vocational path, but I’m very glad I came, and pending greater clarity I am continuing the process. We haven’t set a date for me to be clothed as a novice, but that should be in the not-too-distant future.

Comments:

You're spurring me to update!

Brother Felix—

Thanks for your note! To bring my earlier entry up to date, I’ve made two more visits to Spring Bank Abbey, and have agreed with the Prior that I should enter to test my sense of a vocation. So right now I’m settling some debts and disposing of all the surplus “stuff” I’ve accumulated over the years. I also have to get my work to a place where I can leave with a clear conscience. If things continue apace, I hope to enter there within the next few months. So, ora pro me yet again!

I want to:
43 Things Login