Dear 43 Things Users,

10 years after introducing 43 Things to the world, we have decided we have met our last goal: completing the incredible experience that has been 43 Things. Please join us in giving one last cheer to all the folks who have shared their goals with the world, as well as all the people who have worked at The Robot Co-op to build this incredible website. We won a Webby Award, published a book, and brought happiness to a lot of people.

Starting today, 43 Things users can export their goals and entries from the site. Starting August 15, we will make the site “read only”. 43 Things users will still be able to view the site and export their content, but we won’t be taking any new content from users. We hope to leave the site up for folks to see and download their content until the end of the year. Ending on New Year’s Eve takes us full circle.

It has been a long ride (one of our original goals was to "build a company that lasts at least 2 years” - we beat that one!) While we wish the site could live on, it has suffered from a number of challenges - changes in how people use the site, the advertising industry, and how search engines view the site. We wish the outcome was different – but we’ve always been realistic about when our goals are met and when they aren't.

As of today, you will be able to download your goals and entries. See more about that on the FAQ page. Thanks for 10 great years of goal-setting and achieving.

- The Robots.

Export My Content
FAQ

heybone111 Fall pledge - Lose weight, lose weight, lose weight

"Take more"/ Back Road, Over Night trips, with the motorcycles (read all 3 entries…)
We just got back - Trip # 1

My husband and I decided to take the motorcycles on a trip from Ann Arbor, to New Buffalo July 10 and 11. New Buffalo is a marina town on Lake Michigan. We took Michigan Ave, west 190 miles until we hit lake Michigan. New Buffalo is about an hour and a half from Chicago, and 5 miles from the Michigan/Indiana boarder. We rode about 10 hour’s each day. When we reached New Buffalow, we ate dinner, spent the night, had breakfast, then rode “US 12” home. (We crossed the Michigan/Indiana boarder just to say we did)
Taking the back roads, and skipping the freeways.
We really enjoyed the ride, and I found out first hand, the good and the bad choices I made on some of my gear”! “TIP”...
Be sure” you can get your rain pants on “over your boots”!

Side Bar – A little History:
Old U.S. 12 in Michigan runs from downtown Detroit to Chicago. It was replaced by Interstate 94 in 1962, and the state of Michigan re-routed the U.S. 12 designation to the former route of U.S. Highway 112.

It was an old highway that ran through the middle of the major towns and cities of Michigan between Detroit and Chicago. In most cases the road is still there, and is named either Michigan Avenue, Old U.S. 12 or the Red Arrow Highway, named after the 32nd Infantry Division2. It is still possible to drive the highway from downtown Detroit all the way to The Magnificent Mile in Chicago, with only a few places in which one is required to navigate around the interstate highway. The major break in Old U.S. 12 is in the middle of Michigan half way between the village of Parma and the city of Albion. It is at this point that I-94 cuts south to some degree and bisects the old highway, forcing a motorist to navigate north on smaller roads.

Prior to 1956, the Detroit-Ann Arbor segment of U.S. 12 was routed directly through Ann Arbor, through Plymouth Township, Livonia, and Redford Township, into Detroit, along the Plymouth-Ann Arbor Road corridor to Plymouth Road’s eastern terminus at U.S. 16, Grand River Avenue. U.S. 12 continued on Grand River Avenue, co-signed with U.S. 16, into downtown Detroit. Except for the co-signed Grand River Avenue segment, this route was designated as M-14 when U.S. 12 was rerouted to the Detroit Industrial and Willow Run Expressways, which became I-94 in 1962.

The highway is considered an important historic road like Route 66. Some of it had been the original Territorial Road of Michigan laid out in the early 1800s.

Michigan Avenue is one of the major pre-interstate roads of the state of Michigan. Running through the state east to west, it follows the former course of old US 12 which itself followed the earlier military territorial highway, the Chicago Road. Today the Michigan Avenue name follows a discontinuous route: from downtown Detroit to Hayes State Park in Lenawee County it follows the current route of US 12. West of this on the current US 12, the Michigan Avenue name is dropped and the road is known as simply “US 12” (west of the junction with US 127 the road is also known as “Chicago Road”).

From the eastern Jackson County boundary west to Battle Creek, it mostly follows the route of old US 12, although it has been routed over newer roads in places where I-94 was built over the former US 12. The Michigan Avenue designation ends on the west side of Kalamazoo, near US 131, and reappears only within the village of Paw Paw.

Comments:

That sounds wonderful!!

I wish I could remember the entire anagram my wife made up one day (she can’t remember it all either) but one day she told me that I had “BORED STIFF” syndrome. (Bikers Open Road Experience Deprivation…) It was wonderful to read your trip. Even if we are not riding we can enjoy the rides of others.

Thank's (Haven't herd from you much lately)

“It was a lot of fun”. “We have managed to do quite a bit of riding this season”. Lot’s of 5 & 6 hour rides.
Yea, that “bored stiff syndrome”, can really get you down. Too bad you never got to go on your Key west trip. At least you still have the whole fall/winter season to ride. Michigans riding season will be over by the end of October.

I haven't even fired up my bike

in over 2 months. The weather is just too darn hot and rainy. When fall gets here I am looking froward to riding some more.

"Wow" Two months

“You do need a road trip”! I know it’s hot, but you could leave about 5 AM, and get out of Florida before it got too hot. (Maybe) Although I don’t know how far down you are. Then do a trip up the coast. It would get cooler as you went.
One day, I’m going to get my husband to do a coastal trip with me. I have never seen any of the states along the coast. I would skip all the north eastern states though, and start in Virginia and end with Alabama.

I am still wanting to do they Keys

but that will just have to wait until the fall. Just getting out of FL can be a full day ride. Much of west Florida’s “coastal” highways are so far away from the gulf that you can not even tell you are riding the coast.

I want to:
43 Things Login