Dear 43 Things Users,

10 years after introducing 43 Things to the world, we have decided we have met our last goal: completing the incredible experience that has been 43 Things. Please join us in giving one last cheer to all the folks who have shared their goals with the world, as well as all the people who have worked at The Robot Co-op to build this incredible website. We won a Webby Award, published a book, and brought happiness to a lot of people.

Starting today, 43 Things users can export their goals and entries from the site. Starting August 15, we will make the site “read only”. 43 Things users will still be able to view the site and export their content, but we won’t be taking any new content from users. We hope to leave the site up for folks to see and download their content until the end of the year. Ending on New Year’s Eve takes us full circle.

It has been a long ride (one of our original goals was to "build a company that lasts at least 2 years” - we beat that one!) While we wish the site could live on, it has suffered from a number of challenges - changes in how people use the site, the advertising industry, and how search engines view the site. We wish the outcome was different – but we’ve always been realistic about when our goals are met and when they aren't.

As of today, you will be able to download your goals and entries. See more about that on the FAQ page. Thanks for 10 great years of goal-setting and achieving.

- The Robots.

Export My Content
FAQ

Carm find me at http://www.popclogs.com/user/1214/carm

Declutter my office (read all 10 entries…)
First Two Boxes

I have so much stuff it doesn’t even all fit in my own office. Granted, my office is the tiniest possible space you could call an office, but that’s no excuse.

My latest idea for how to approach getting rid of stuff is to start going through boxes of old stuff. Materials so old it should be easy to review and get rid of a lot. If I could do one box per week it would be great progress for me. I’ll try to make the majority of my progress on my weekend work day. Some boxes have too much paper to get through in one long work session, but I’ll see if I can make some progress every week.

Of course going through boxes of old stuff isn’t going to do any good unless I can at the same time keep up with processing all the current and incoming piles of material. Somehow I always generate a lot of paper.

Today I got my start. I actually managed to do two boxes this week. I doubt that will happen again. In this case the contents of those boxes were easy to toss. They contained books and training materials for software that we don’t even use any more.

I have some current piles on the desk I want to sort through in the next week. We’ll see how it goes.

Comments:

russellviii Vacation time is coming soon

A Phenomenal Memory

You’re right. i had to think about it for a minute, but I’ve been in the office for about six months, just like you said.

I’ve got piles of papers starting to accumulate on my desk.

Today I finally got around to hanging some plaques and a picture on the wall.

I have a few other bits of clutter that I need to work on as well.

It's hard to find time...

to straighten up when you’re busy. At least that’s my problem. I suppose the key is to keep chipping away at it when you can, not wait until you one has a large chunk of time for it.

By the way I love how patriotic your avatar looks on this holiday. Happy Fourth, Russell.

russellviii Vacation time is coming soon

Happy Fourth to you too

So what did you and Walter do for the Fourth?

Our celebration was quite simple, yet pleasant, and much in keeping with our family’s tradition. I’ll post more on it later.

Our Fourth is...

pretty simple too. In fact I spent some of it in my office working on paper piles. We’re having our favorite picnic type foods for dinner (hot dogs for Carm, watermelon for Walter) and we’ll watch Seattle’s one remaining fireworks show on TV. We thought about watching them from my office downtown (we would have a decent view there) but given Walter’s eyesight he can see them better on the TV than he could from a window. And this way we won’t have to fight the traffic after. :)

Tomorrow afternoon we’re going to set aside some time to catch a movie. There’s a brand new theater complex in our neighborhood that we want to check out. Also, we’re having a heat wave here and that will be a good excuse to go where there’s air conditioning.

I’ll look forward to hearing about your celebration too!

I want to:
43 Things Login