A Staggering Rat of Heartbreaking Something or Other "I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner..."

Celebrate, on June 15th, the 12th birthday of Rupert, the most beautifully fubsy bull terrier known to humankind. (read all 2 entries…)
He wheezes a bit

and coughs from heart valve disease, but his grumbling and hucklebutt are good as ever.
I went to Chinatown to pick up one of his favourite treats: barbecued duck livers, hearts, and gizzards. (He pawed the air until I gave him a sample; I may go ahead and give him the lot tonight. he’s twelve after all. Crikey!)

Tomorrow, we’ll take him to Marlon for a baseball of ground beef, and we’ve already broken out those funny dried chicken breast treats.

Zonino, pink boy!

Comments:

A Staggering Rat of Heartbreaking Something or Other "I hate to bug you in the middle of dinner..."

There is nothing quite like

seeing a hucklebutt for the first time!

(This one is typical.)

wren You'll not see nothing like the mighty wren!

hahahaha!

Why is he doing that?

It looks like he’s having fun!

Bullies

are absolute clowns. I don’t know why they do it. It is normal for the bull terrier, but it is not normal for anyone else.

They trance, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeKzM99bfWY

“Bull Terriers have two characteristics which are unique to the breed. The first is that they ‘trance’ (or ‘ghost walk’ or ‘weed walk’). Trancing mode is turned on by walking under a bush so that the leaves tickle the dog’s back. The dog’s eyes glaze and movement is in ultra slow motion; the dog almost looks as though it is stalking prey whilst sleep walking. A bush is not essential, they will do it under a table cloth if it hangs down to the right level, or perhaps the family Christmas tree. Don’t tell your vet about this – few vets know anything about the breed and they would only want to refer your dog to a neurologist (and probably you to a psychiatrist). In sharp contract, the second unique activity takes place at top speed. It is variously called ‘freaking’, a ‘mad five’ or in the USA ‘hucklebutting’. The dog suddenly takes off at full speed and sprints all over the house, round rooms, in and out of furniture, often in a figure of eight. The best ‘freaks’ involve going at full speed head first towards a wall/door/piece of furniture, and then at the last minute doing a half turn to slam sideways into the obstacle, bouncing off it and then continuing at full speed. This activity usually last for two or three minutes only, though it can be triggered or prolonged with a little encouragement. Freaking is an effective way of removing the legs from delicate antiques or denting the fridge door. During these displays all humans should remain perfectly still – the dog will aim to miss them. Similarly, when sprinting in the garden a BT considers it funny to run a full speed straight for you, then at the last second swerve to miss. It is extremely important for their humans not to lose their nerve and try to side step – going the wrong way will result in some very bruised legs.” (from …uh…. a very reputable site on bull terrier characteristics)

(This comment was deleted.)

That's why God invented

youtube of course, dear SquirrelPie.

wren You'll not see nothing like the mighty wren!

Fascinating!

I didn’t know these things about bullies. All along I thought they were just cute!

Watching

Lenny trance literally made me LOL!

When you said Rupert wheezes a bit, it made me think of the dog on the movie Snatch
He wheezed and squeaked throughout the rest of the movie!

I want to:
43 Things Login