Dear 43 Things Users,

10 years after introducing 43 Things to the world, we have decided we have met our last goal: completing the incredible experience that has been 43 Things. Please join us in giving one last cheer to all the folks who have shared their goals with the world, as well as all the people who have worked at The Robot Co-op to build this incredible website. We won a Webby Award, published a book, and brought happiness to a lot of people.

Starting today, 43 Things users can export their goals and entries from the site. Starting August 15, we will make the site “read only”. 43 Things users will still be able to view the site and export their content, but we won’t be taking any new content from users. We hope to leave the site up for folks to see and download their content until the end of the year. Ending on New Year’s Eve takes us full circle.

It has been a long ride (one of our original goals was to "build a company that lasts at least 2 years” - we beat that one!) While we wish the site could live on, it has suffered from a number of challenges - changes in how people use the site, the advertising industry, and how search engines view the site. We wish the outcome was different – but we’ve always been realistic about when our goals are met and when they aren't.

As of today, you will be able to download your goals and entries. See more about that on the FAQ page. Thanks for 10 great years of goal-setting and achieving.

- The Robots.

Export My Content
FAQ

Absnasm Thanks 43T. You made me and my life better. I'll miss you very much.

post randomly (read all 104 entries…)
Looks like we may soon be able to see who is subscribed to us...

..according to the newest entry on the Robot Coop blog.

I don’t think this is a good idea. It’s one of the downfalls of Facebook that you can tell when someone has got sick of you and unfriended you, and one of the pleasures of 43T that you can’t tell without asking who is following you. And even then they don’t have to tell you.

What do you think? Actually, don’t tell me, go over to the blog and let them know.

Comments:

About 2.5 million people have that box marked. Mailing them conversation about proposed features or changes just is not practical. The blog seems to work OK for the few hundred who really care.

Absnasm Thanks 43T. You made me and my life better. I'll miss you very much.

But it doesn't, does it?

I take your point about it being impractical to email that many people, but I don’t agree that the blog is an efficient way to get information out to people. I do wish more people would subscribe to it, but it’s not widely advertised or known about.

Would it be possible for you to make it a bit more obvious to more users of 43T when there’s a new entry to the blog? Perhaps there’s some way to put “new announcement” on the front page of 43T? Or you could make a link to it as part of the customisable sidebar where people show their cheers, recent activity, about me and all that stuff? I think it would really help us to feel better informed.

I think the Co-op blog works OK for getting information out to the small group of people who would get pissed if they don’t get notice about a change, but I agree it could work better and reach more people if it were set up differently.

We would need to make a new blog for 43Things if we were going to advertise it on 43Things more broadly. Right now it is a compnay blog for robot co-op, not really about 43Things specifically. We need to have a place to talk about nonsense, vacation photos, and the other sites we run. That might just be confusing on a “product” blog advertised from the 43 Things homepage.

Personally, I think a 43Things blog, tied into the site, is a good idea, but I haven’t won over the other ‘bots. Lobby Kathy and Joe! They might listen to you.

On the blog we have now though, I’m not sure we lack participation on the blog, so much as civil and constructive participation. We are already at 40 comments on this latest post, but many of these could just as easily be about “buttongate”: “don’t change the site (idiots)” or “are you trying to kill the site by making it like facebook?”. Only a few have thought about how they’d address users who want to know who subscribes to them. We’ve had a couple commenters question the existence, source and significance of these customer requests all together. Its not really the sort of dialogue that makes me think “let’s have more of this” and especially not want to feature it on the homepage of 43Things. Certainly, if we had a blog promoted across 43 Things, it would be hard to say we’d have open comments given the threats, obscenities, slanders, etc that folks use when they don’t like a change (or the people making the site).

We’ll definitely discuss a 43Things specific blog when we are back in the office on Tuesday.

You've got to remember

that people are still smarting from Buttongate and so may be inclined to react more negatively this time than they otherwise would. There’s also the fact that to a lot of us, this site is a sort of home, populated with people we care about, and it’s a very human thing to fire up in defense of your home and family without taking the time to be diplomatic about it. And of course, different people have different styles of communication. I’m not condoning incivility, just asking you to be understanding.

I have to add that I’ve been shocked by the dismissive, belittling tone of some of your responses to commenters on the blog post. I understand that it must be really frustrating to have your genuine efforts to improve the site met with resistance, but by taking it out on the people who care enough about the site to come and give you their opinions you’re just alienating them. That’s the real issue, as I see it – it feels like you care about the site more than about the people and forget that without the people, the site is meaningless.

scooterbird wishes to start the Great Music Conspiracy :-)

Once again

I’d like to remind everyone of this goal and the 43t-exile group on Yahoogroups, which can be subscribed to at 43t-exile-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Joe Goldberg Working hard

43 Things Blog

I’ve already been won over!

I want to:
43 Things Login