NualaBuala Tell me what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life

run a 5k
I'm a runner!

This was a milestone for me (or should that be kilometer stone?). Anyway I finally feel like a fully-fledged proper runner and it’s a joyous feeling after being stuck on a couch for so long.

I was nervous about the race as it seemed fast looking at last year’s results. But I needn’t have worried, although I was relatively slow, I was far from being last … and even if I was, so what?!

I had read that I shouldn’t get overly swept up in the adrenaline rush so I took it at my usual pace and didn’t surge ahead with the crowd at the start. I didn’t let myself get discouraged as many people passed me by even though I’d started towards the back. But I kept going, just a little faster than my usual pace but at a pace I knew I could sustain. As the kilometers passed by, many of those who had raced past me fell back and I just kept on going.

On the last stretch I knew I had plenty of juice in the tank and I sped up … that was a real blast!

And so that how I survived my first 5k and fell in love with racing! I’ve already signed up for my next one at St Patrick’s weekend – bring it on!

Comments:

Zanna Campanula of the revolutionary trousers

brilliant!

congratulations, fellow runner! :D

NualaBuala Tell me what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life

"fellow runner"

That sounds so good to me! Thanks a million for your encouragment!

Zanna Campanula of the revolutionary trousers

i know!

i’m still astounded that i have learned to be “a runner” and am now part of the running community (if a very slow member). i don’t think i’ll ever lose that astonishment. and the incredible satisfaction it brings :)))))))

I totally get

the astonishment factor! :-) It’s lovely to know I’m not the only one, thanks!

And wishing you lots more happy running!

I want to:
43 Things Login