Dear 43 Things Users,

10 years after introducing 43 Things to the world, we have decided we have met our last goal: completing the incredible experience that has been 43 Things. Please join us in giving one last cheer to all the folks who have shared their goals with the world, as well as all the people who have worked at The Robot Co-op to build this incredible website. We won a Webby Award, published a book, and brought happiness to a lot of people.

Starting today, 43 Things users can export their goals and entries from the site. Starting August 15, we will make the site “read only”. 43 Things users will still be able to view the site and export their content, but we won’t be taking any new content from users. We hope to leave the site up for folks to see and download their content until the end of the year. Ending on New Year’s Eve takes us full circle.

It has been a long ride (one of our original goals was to "build a company that lasts at least 2 years” - we beat that one!) While we wish the site could live on, it has suffered from a number of challenges - changes in how people use the site, the advertising industry, and how search engines view the site. We wish the outcome was different – but we’ve always been realistic about when our goals are met and when they aren't.

As of today, you will be able to download your goals and entries. See more about that on the FAQ page. Thanks for 10 great years of goal-setting and achieving.

- The Robots.

Export My Content
FAQ
post random questions daily and see if anyone plays with me and answers them :) (read all 8 entries…)
For the love of Joy

Let’s get this clear from the offset; I’m not using Random Questions to ask for money (although if you feel so inclined I’m deeply and sincerely grateful) but I am seeking some assistance with the organising and practicalities of raising funds.

I’m intending to take my sister to Copenhagen at Christmas this year (if you’re interested, the details are here)

Some beautiful online friends have offered to help and it’s been suggested I create a ‘giving page’ in order to enable donations to be made to the fund. This sounded simple enough but apparently it’s not, as I’m not a charity or not for profit organisation, nor would I wish to imply such. I’m merely an individual racing against time to make a wish come true for my sister. I initially thought of setting something up through PayPal, using a ‘Donate’ button but having read numerous articles like this and this it doesn’t seem like such a good idea and I’m now rather scared of falling foul of the law (whether that be PayPal law or the real deal).

So the question: bearing in mind that I’m really inept at computery stuff, what would you suggest as a good way to go about this?

Further question: due to Sister’s needs (sight and Asperger) it would be far better for her if we could find a self contained apartment for our stay, rather than separate hotel rooms. We’re only talking about 3 or 4 days maximum at some point during the couple of weeks before Christmas. Are you familiar with Copenhagen? Can you point me in the right direction for good value accommodation of this type? Do you know of some hidden gems? Suggestions, hints and tips are very much welcomed.

Bonus question, to open this up beyond me and my family: if you could take a loved one on a trip anywhere in the world as a gift, where would it be and who would it be for?
x

Comments:

gottawonder Loves her tortoise!

Possibly

you could do something like set up some collection sites for bottles (do you turn in bottles for a deposit?). It doesn’t take long to earn a few hundred dollars this way.

You could have a hug booth, where you sell hugs for a dollar or two.

Maybe you could also get friends to donate items that they would let you sell either at a garage sale or online. Lots of people have a few things that they no longer need, but can’t be bothered to sell. They just sit in the closet.

You could do the same with books.

Could you have a carwash with your friends as a fundraiser?

How about taking on a weekend or evening job until you’ve earned enough extra cash?

How about doing something like walking your friend’s dogs, or neighbour’s dogs in the morning or on weekends?

Or cleaning for friends? Or other chores like picking up groceries or dry cleaning, people hate having to do those kinds of things.

Or, just come right out and ask them what kind of things they would be willing to pay someone to do for them. They might pay you five bucks to take out the garbage or clean the cat litter, but if you do it often enough, it adds up.

Car boots

Here in the UK instead of holding garage or yard sales (for which there can be licensing requirements) we get up at stupid o’clock on a Sunday morning, pile all our unwanted belongings into the car, drive to some muddy field where we’re charged for a pitch from which we then attempt to sell said unwanted belongings…this is known as a car boot sale. They can be fun and Husband and I have become quite expert at the whys and ways! We’ve sold all our unwanteds but all friends and family know to send theirs our way. Sadly, as summer draws to a close, so do most of the sale venues around here; the indoor/covered ones tend to have very high pitch costs so are somewhat prohibitive unless you’re certain of good sales (and there’s no such thing as certainty with such things!)

All your suggestions are really good but no-one in my neighbourhood could afford (or would be willing) to pay for those kind of things…it’s a place of high unemployment and deprivation. By the time I’d paid out the transport costs to get to a more affluent area, I’d have negated any profit from such work.

And as for getting weekend or evening work…I’d be happy to get any kind of job…trust me, I’m applying for pretty much any vacancy that I come across, from cleaning through to the type of job that my degree qualifies me for…so far, zilch. Thank goodness Husband is employed!

I’m working on some ideas for Zazzle, as suggested by Tarrador, so fingers crossed I can make a few pounds there.

I’m sorry if this response comes across as negative; it’s not meant to. I really do appreciate your suggestions and am grateful to you for taking the time to offer up your ideas.
x

gottawonder Loves her tortoise!

It isn't negative

if it’s true.

I’m sorry that the job search isn’t doing much yet, but maybe with so many good minds working on this, one or two ideas will yeild results. Good luck.

I want to:
43 Things Login