meditate daily
It's so frustrating

I keep dozing off. Maybe that’s ok at night, but it happens every single time, even in the morning.

Comments:

try this...

how about washing your face with cold water beforehand…or you could do some light excersize before trying to meditation.

I've been trying..

..to do something before I meditate, and not just try to meditate right after I wake up (which I thought would make it easier). It’s getting better, but I still doze off, or keep thinking not to let my neck bend (I don’t know how to explain this, I just relax “too much”).
Thanks for your help. Eventually I’ll get it…

I'm in the same boat...

I’ve only recently started meditating. And lately, i’ve noticed myself dozing off too. My head drops and i start leaning forward…i catch myself doing this, and then go back to meditating regularly. Then it happens again and again and again. I think the important thing is to be aware of whats going on (kinda hard when ur falling asleep though).

I believe the reason that we are starting to doze off is that our mind is used to being in such a relaxed and calm state only before we fall asleep. So, after several minutes of meditation, when we become relaxed and our mind is clear, our mind interprets this state as precurser to sleep….so it shuts down and we begin to doze off. I don’t know if this is making sense to you. I had to consult a book that i have on meditation, and this is what it says. It also says to try to hold your breath as soon as you start feeling drowsy, maybe that will help you.

I’m trying to overcome this too…so, i definately know where your coming from. Hope, this helps. Keep me informed on how this is coming along.

This is just one of many hurdles that must be overcome to regain control of our minds, which are used to ruling us. This is what meditation is all about.

Makes perfect sense!

That’s what’s happening (my head drops, I fall asleep…), only you explained it so much better. I think you’re in to something when you say “our mind interprets this state as precurser to sleep”. I’ll try the “holding your breath” solution. It’s good to know I’m not the only one, because I was feeling really foolish. But I’ll persevere :)

guess what!!!

today, i took my own advice…and it worked!

Sure, i had to catch myself falling asleep several times, but after that, it was gone and i returned to meditation as if nothing happened.

What helped me overcome this was to kick up my concentration and focus a notch as soon as i caught myself falling asleep. Also, make sure you’re not too comfortable while meditation. I switched chairs from a very soft chair to a hard one, so this could also help. Its also importnat to increase your awareness as soon as u start feeling drowsy. I would recommend that you try to understand and be aware of this state…whats going on in your head? how does it make your body feel? etc etc. I noticed that i would start falling asleep only when i was distracted from focusing on my breathing. THis is why you have to concentrate and focus even harder. So after you catch yourself, be aware of whats going on in that instant and return to concentrating on ur breathing (or whatever u concentrate on) but at increased level of awareness and focus. I also tried holding my breath, but i’m not sure if it help me or not…so try it out and see if it works for u.

Hope this helps and good luck! It just takes some perseverence and determination..and some experimenting.

I want to:
43 Things Login