ceesmiles is getting ready to run another 5K race; 5K has become usual run

watch more black and white classic movies (pre-1950) (read all 6 entries…)
Watched "It Happened One Night" (1934)

Lovely movie with great characters and witty dialogue. If this is the originator of the romantic comedy than lots of movies with this classification do not deserve the label.

Worth it for the hitch hiking scene alone.

Comments:

My only sibling is 11 years younger

I had the happy happy time of going through the Disney movies twice. I have a hard time now watching any cartoon, regardless of how grown up they are supposed to be. I can watch some Japanese Anime, but it is rare that I will actually decide that we should watch the Simpsons or Family Guy.

My grandmother taught me to like Days of Our Lives. Which I love still. My sister is named for it. She didn’t have much taste in movies, music, etc. My Papa watches the Price is Right. On the other side of the family, my granny likes Ella & Billie, but I didn’t really get into that until recently (having to get over punk rock). She still calls me to tell me when something good is coming on PBS.

I don’t know how I got turned onto the things I like. I have one uncle that lived a couple doors down from CBGBs during the hayday, and worked for an alt music newspaper – but I didn’t see him much at all since he lives in Texas. I appreciate his tastes now, but I don’t think I knew what he liked when I was being influenced. I guess I can blame late night MTV.

It takes a village

to give a child some really eclectic tastes in music/movies/television. I am teaching the younger generation to make choking noises when Brittney-clones come on. This is moral development (and self-preservation).

As I got older I started to like the animated stuff better. Miyazaki contributed to that but no one else in my family is really into anime.

I like the Simpsons, don’t get me wrong, but some of the people in my family have it engraved on their hearts.

And if you watched late night MTV, did you watch…Daria?

Bart Simpsons & Daria should fight

The Simpsons are the biggest buzz kill I know of. If God came down and was reveling the secrets of the omniverse, I know most of my friends would tell him to shut up if The Simpsons were on. Not that the show isn’t funny. My husband has two seasons on DVD. I would just prefer to not have it be the center of attention all the time. Even if you have already seen the episode. Even if you saw the episode yesterday… argh. I have rage about the Simpsons.

Daria was cute. I identified with her, for certain (I guess I think I’m cute). But Daria was well after MTV raised me. I was more raised by 120 Minutes and Liquid Television.

Now Aeon Flux… that’s a damn good cartoon.

I made room for Daria

and if they made the show now, Daria would have ended up with Jane instead of Jane’s boyfriend. Just like watching Buffy while an adult…that’s why I went to library school. They were proud of Giles. He made the cover of the ALA magazine.

I read Poe because of the Simpsons, so is that as weird as not making time for the deus ex machina?

And are you looking forward to the movie? Think that Charlize will make it?

So true

So is it a good thing that I identified with Daria??

Never was much for Buffy.. my sister got deep into it, but I had already been talked out of my big vampire stage. Which was more centered around Anne Rice and Vampire the Masquerade than anything. Told you I worked in a comic book store, but I was hired because I knew about role playing games. Sounds so dorky.

I don’t think getting literary advice from a tv show is as bad as ignore everything to watch the tv show. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ve read some books because I heard about them from very odd sources. But I read everything I touch.

I’d rather Angelina make Aeon. I have it bad for Ms. Jolie, and she has the lips of Aeon. And the guts.

I want to:
43 Things Login