Things I need to do to make this happen:
- Learn more about the tradeoffs of instruction in different planes: a trainer (probably a Skyhawk) vs. a high-performance retractable single (Bonanza) vs. a light twin (Seminole).
- Decide what plane I’m going to train in. If it’s one I haven’t yet flown, purchase the POH and complete the checkout and any other prerequisites.
- Put together a financial model including currency requirements, recurrent training, and practical use. Set aside the money.
- Block out the time in Q1-Q2 of 2005.
- Find a new flight instructor that I like (my old one was great, but he recently left to go fly for Midwest Express).
- Get VFR current with the new instructor. Get a mountain-flying checkout while I’m at it.
- Purchase the training materials.
- Dive in!