Maubee keep on keeping on
I had a good start on this prior to seeing the goal here and adding it to my ‘things’. I had stockpiled ideas in anticipation of doing The Artists Way and with the artist dates in mind. I love the challenge of coming up with 100 though! Here’s the 26 I already had…
1. Build snow sculptures. Channel Calvin/Hobbes and do odd scenes of snowmen, or do fantastic creatures, or just do the unexpected (like our hot tub couple out of snow from last year, pictured above).
2. Using colored dry erase markers, draw on mirrors, shower walls/doors, windows
3. Dress a doll using fabric scraps and bits and beads (or make a paper doll and dress)
4. Pick a letter (or number) for the day, try to do more things that start with that letter (or are associated with that number). So if you are driving around on an “F” day, go to parks that start with F, stores, etc, turn down any street you cross that starts with “F”, eat foods starting with “F”, do activities like fencing, fishing, following, etc.
5. Decorate your car with streamers, old shoes, etc. and put a ‘just married’ or maybe some other sign on the car and drive it around. Bonus if you wear a wedding dress and/or veil.
6. Look at the backside of things, look under rocks, walk down old alleyways to see the rear yards of houses.
7. Go into a big old public building you’ve never been in and explore, make a map, find secret passageways and odd details.
8. Walk around the city and people watch.
9. Play in a fountain.
10. Build a sandcastle with a moat.
11. Create a crossword puzzle.
12. Create a maze or the walls of a house (we used to do this as kids in the fall using leaves in the yard…it would work to use the colored water on snow or even shovel off sections of the snow in your yard).
13. Pretend to be a spy.
14. Become blind (wear blindfold) or deaf (earplugs) and experience the world – or normal everyday things in that context.
15. Go to a wine tasting.
16. Play a design computer game (like the one where you make a roller coaster or a zoo).
17. Speak in gibberish – or if you know one, a real foreign language. See if you can communicate with others using voice, pitch, gestures, facial expression, etc.
18. Sit in a hospital waiting room, emergency room, or doctors office and people watch.
19. Go buy some pottery and glassware at a thrift shop for cheap. Get angry or whatever moves you and break it all in a safe place. If the pieces that emerge move you create a mosaic from them.
20. Create magnetic poetry and leave it in public places – mailboxes, metal doors, lampposts, on signs. Come back later to see if anyone rearranges or adds to it in any way.
21. Try on shoes, including ones you’d never buy – stillettos, platforms, cowboy boots, hiking boots, running shoes, ballet slippers, big character slippers, beach thongs, etc.
22. Go to zoo or petshop and watch lizards, snakes, tarantulas, giant bugs, etc. for a long time.
23. Go scuba diving.
24. Go on a scavenger hunt, created by you or have a friend make one up (and you could make one for them).
25. Go outside late at night or very early in the morning when no one else is stirring.
26. Create your own burning man. Cobble together bits of wood or twigs in a sculpture of some sort and take it out to a fire pit (we have them in parks near us) and ceremonially burn it.