GrammaG *spinning circle* Connecting...
I grew up in Livingston county so I probably know it better than any other county in the state. There wasn’t much to do in my hometown of Dwight so once I could drive, my friends and I spent a lot of time exploring the countryside. Fun facts:
- Named after Edward Livingston, Andrew Jackson’s Secretary of State and the U.S. minister to France.
- There are two prisons in the county: a men’s prison in Pontiac and a women’s prison in Dwight.
- The 80’s movie Grandview U.S.A was filmed in Pontiac.
Cities and Towns I’ve been to in Livingston County:
- Dwight: My hometown
- Campus: My grandpa’s sister lived here, and we had an extended family get together every Easter and Christmas Day.
- Fairbury: Home of the Fairbury Fair. My grandpa would take me every year to watch the carriage races and play Bingo.
- Odell: A friend in High School lived just outside Odell and worked at a restaurant in town so we spent a lot of time here.
- Pontiac (county seat): I had several relatives here so we spent a fair amount of time visiting in Pontiac. We always went to my grandpa’s other sister’s house for the annual Thresherman’s Reunion parade each September.
- It’s safe to say I’ve spent time at least driving around all of the other towns, but they’re all so small, I probably never did anything of significance in them.