I just ran my ego-search and I’ve moved up from third place to second place in a search for “moscovitz” on Google. It looks like the changes I implemented several weeks ago have indeed had the desired effect.
Some of the changes I made were:
Placed my name into the headers on the home page.
Used my name as anchor text in links on other sites to the home page.
Streamlined the HTML and reducing the size of the
head sections of my pages.
Added my name to the header of my blog description on each page.
Added my name to the
title of selected pages.
Updated my site more frequently, including writing in my blog more often and agreggating the content I write for other sites onto my main site.
After all this, however, there are still more things I can do such as:
Move my name to the beginning of the
title instead of the end, especially on the home page.
meta tags for each page, especially the
Submit my site to the web directories (rather than just the search engines).
Optimize my keywords for stemming, proximity grouping, and popularity.
Thankfully, search engine optimization is something I consider from the start of every web development project, and it’s something I built the hooks into for my own site from the redesign. This would have been a nightmare if I had to retrofit the entire site rather than doing it right the first time. And now the benefits are really showing through. Awesome!