Cosplay is a term used for anime and manga fans that dress up as their favourite anime characters. Many people who attend anime conventions cosplay, and many even attend conventions for that reason alone. I first discovered cosplay through the personal website of a friend of mine. She had a couple of pictures of her dressed up as my favourite character (and she’s not into anime or manga anymore, but it was also hers at the time), and I have been entertaining the idea of cosplaying ever since. There are only two things keeping me from it now: (1), I need to lose weight, and I don’t feel very comfortable with my body right now. As such, I do not feel comfortable drawing any more attention than necessary to my body. And (2), I don’t know how to sew. Fortunately, I know someone who does, and who is willing to help me learn, so it is possible for me to learn.
Cosplaying may seem like a very silly hobby to have, particularly for a nineteen year old girl, but well… I don’t care and it looks fun. :p I have seen some truly amazing and elaborate costumes, and I would love to be able to make something as beautiful as those! And who knows? Even if and when I lose interest in anime and manga, I could put the skills I gained from creating costumes to another, and maybe more productive, use.
Some of the characters I would like to cosplay are:
- Kaiou Michiru (high school uniform) from Sailormoon
- Kaiou Michiru (junior high uniform) from Sailormoon
- Kaiou Michiru (manga ‘cello’ dress) from Sailormoon
- Sailorneptune from Sailormoon
- Eternalsailorneptune from Sailormoon
- Neptune-hime from Sailormoon
(All of the above are just different forms of the same character.. ^^;)
- Haku from Naruto
- Haruno Sakura from Naruto
- Tomoyo-hime from Tsubasa Chronicle
- Sakura-hime from Tsubasa Chronicle
- Fuji Syuusuke from Tennis no Oujisama
- Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter