"A lot of this time I was looking for peace externally, never really realizing that it's always within."
How I did it: Excuse me for sounding metaphysical and esoteric, but I learned to connect with the inner life force within me that keeps ticking despite what's happening around me. When I realized that that life force is there, steady and calm, I stopped worrying about things beyond my control, and learned to be steady and calm myself. There is the peace!
Lessons & tips:
- Learn to be quiet with yourself.
- Find a one-syllable mantra (like peace!) and say it over and over until you feel it.
- When life feels overwhelming, ask yourself if you're ok. Really ok. Even when disaster strikes, you are still here, and ready to get to the next moment. Emotionally, you may feel like a wreck, but physically, your body is still present, still living, still ticking in a way that's moving you away from the disaster. Focus on that.
- As often as you can, be an observer of your life and your thoughts. By calmly observing things unfold around you, you can achieve a greater sense of peace because you are removed as being hyperactive and reactive. Only then are you more empowered to take the right kind of action, while discovering peace is with you.
- Do not replay bad events over and over again in your head. You will only relive the trauma, the sense of loss, and cause yourself more harm than the event itself actually caused you.
Resources: The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle; Loving What Is by Byron Katie
20 people found this helpful