How to learn to cook
How I did it: I started this goal thinking, "Oh man, how am I ever gonna learn how to cook? Where do I start?" But it turns out that I didn't have to try to hard. I found opportunities to cook all the time, especially since I was living on my own.
I began with easy things to cook (like scrambled eggs or packaged food that came with directions) and then gradually worked my way onto more challenging recipes. I loved improv food (or experimental food, if you will. Ha ha) and I think being able to take a chance with my own instincts/ my own curiosity contributed a lot to learning.
Lessons & tips:
- Don't be afraid to experiment a bit. But do avoid food poisoning! ;)
- Find out which foods are good staple foods (I personally like having eggs, garlic, onion, broccoli, mushrooms, etc. at all times because I can incorporate them into many of the dishes I make)
- Try a recipe once, and you'll likely remember most of it if you ever want to do it again. You'll also be able to add your own twist to it.
- Have fun with it! If cooking isn't fun for you, it will take forever to learn.
- My mom (Not only did I learn a lot of tricks from her but I also received a lot of groceries from her)
- Internet/cookbook (Whenever I come across a recipe that looks cool, I get motivated to cook)
- My friends (Especially my BF, because we started cooking together a lot)