How to come out of the closet
How I did it: I planned a lot, looked for the perfect moment, but one day I was just like "hey, there will never be a perfect moment, I'm doing this today". And it was the Independence Day of my country, and we were going to see a really awesome modern ballet... I thought that I gotta do this, or else I'll never do it. I approximately thought about what I was going to say, and I strictly said that I'll only talk in fron of my mother... And you know what... This spontaneous thinking of mine didn't let me down. It was scary, but amazing.
Lessons & tips: Be smooth if you want to be understood. I can't stress this more. Especially when it comes to your parents. Feelings that are hard to understand shouldn't be put bluntly. Don't just use labels like "transsexual" or "gay", talk about how you feel, try to make them understand. My coming out didn't contain one label. Different words - different reactions. I believe this is called "latitudes of acceptance", and it's propaganda, and propaganda works! :D
Choose the people you come out to. I doubt my dad or brother would have been very accepting, no matter how smooth I would have been. But if you're closer to your dad or your uncle or your grandmother, talk to them. Even if their "views" don't accept you, they'll be willing to accept you because... Well, because it's you.
And yeah... There is never "a perfect time".
Resources: Me. I don't know another lithuanian trans person whose coming out was good, so you should listen to me. :D
And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JzQ2TXHSn8
the crash architect. has gotten 14 cheers on this entry.
- Simon - firstname.lastname@example.org cheered this 21 months ago
- welpke cheered this 3 years ago
- ScreamingMonkey cheered this 3 years ago
- Artemis cheered this 3 years ago
- humekant cheered this 3 years ago
- chani35 cheered this 3 years ago
- Airos cheered this 3 years ago
- Living in Possibility cheered this 3 years ago
- ctndu cheered this 3 years ago
- Katy cheered this 3 years ago
- guillemets cheered this 3 years ago
- Dreamer7787 cheered this 3 years ago
- Lorraine James cheered this 3 years ago
- Kenys cheered this 3 years ago