www.relayforlife.org/ Join a Relay For Life Walk & Give Hope in the Fight Against Cancer!
www.runforyourlives.com/ The toughest zombie 5k race. Get $5 off w/code: BrainEaters
www.needforspeed.com/Pre-Order Pre-Order Need for Speed Rivals For PC & Consoles Today!
How to race for Life
How I did it: I signed up to run the 10km race with was the first and probably the most important step: commitment. I was so scared just after because I had never even run 5km without taking rest-walks. So I overdid it royally on my first day of training, doing 8.5km and feeling miserable the next day. BUT with committed and sensible training, rest days and a little help from my running buddy I got better and better, and today I ran the course in 1h 4mins! This is a great achievement for me and I am so happy about it. We also raised over £300 for Cancer Research, so an all round great experience.
Lessons & tips:
- Don't overdo it but stick at it!
- Do it with a friend. It's a lot of fun and really motivating and helps you over slumps.
- Plan the day really well: how are you going to get there, what are you going to wear, what do you need
- If you get shin splints, a great way to help on the day is putting on a tight (but not too tight!) bandage around the whole lower leg. I got this tip from an acquaintance and it saved my life today. Apart from that, your rest days should be holy to you.
- Good running shoes.
- MP3 player and decent headphones
- Good vitamin mix (pill) for energy release.
- The justgiving.com website
- Wisdom from the book "The Buddha, Geoff and I"