How to run a 10K
How I did it: I had trained for and run a 5k so sought advice on a 10k plan. The Hal Higdon Novice plan was suggested to me and I followed it with some adaptations. My goal was just to get around the course running non-stop.
I didn't get to finish the plan and the longest run I'd done was 8k so I wasn't sure I could finish but I did and had enough juice in the tank to be able to speed up when I saw the finish line. I had a confidence wobble when I hit the 8k mark wondering if I could finish but it was all in my head, the legs were well able for it!
So that's how I managed to to finish my first proper 10k in just under and hour and 2 minutes. It was a fantastic experience and I can't wait to do my next race!
Lessons & tips: Pick a fun race with plenty of people at your level. I was surrounded by 11,000 runners and walkers of all levels so it helped to know I was in good company and probably wouldn't come last!
Do the training and take it at your own pace (in my case that is steady and slow). That way you'll feel confident you can finish and you won't be in bits the next day!
Don't wear too many clothes, you will warm up once you get going. If it's a cold day and you will be hanging around at the start line, wear something old (or a bin bag) that you can chuck away before you start.
Don't wear anything new on race day. Stick with what you know works for you.
When you're on a hill, don't look at the top of the hill, just keep your eyes on the patch of road ahead of you - it seemed to feel easier that way for me. Sometimes I imagined the people in front of me where pulling me up the hills too!
Make a checklist of everything you'll need for the race and get your stuff ready the night before. It will save any panic on race day! Include some toilet paper as the portaloos will always run out!
Plan how you're going to get there and build in a little extra time in case something goes wrong. I'm all for minimising pre-race stress!
Don't start off too fast - take it at your own pace so you don't run out of energy before the finish.
Enjoy every second!
NualaBuala has gotten 14 cheers on this entry.
- hhannah cheered this 11 months ago
- LuckyCh4rm cheered this 11 months ago
- Dragon_Lady cheered this 19 months ago
- camachoborracho cheered this 19 months ago
- Colleen_C_C cheered this 19 months ago
- Lisa cheered this 19 months ago
- beccaflute cheered this 19 months ago
- New Isabella cheered this 19 months ago
- h.g. ~happiness cheered this 19 months ago
- Kelsey cheered this 19 months ago
- Spatz cheered this 19 months ago
- MidnightDreamer22 cheered this 19 months ago
- renewalsh cheered this 19 months ago
- katpurnell cheered this 19 months ago