How to make new friends
How I did it: I talked to people more, I put myself into different situations, I stopped declining invitations because I was too shy to accept. I met people at work, volunteering and through other people. Of all the new people I've befriended, there's only one I see regularly, just to hang out - she's one of my best friends ever and we just "got" each other almost straight after meeting. That's actually my point here: you won't become best friends with everyone. Some you might only see once in a while, or mostly at work, or whatever. When I used to go on facebook, I got disheartened when it seemed everyone on there had about a million friends. Now I know 'facebook friends' and drinking buddies are not what I want. I definitely think it's quality over quantity!
Lessons & tips:
- Put yourself out there - you'll never meet new people if you never change your routine. Join a society or volunteer.
- Don't worry if you don't 'click' with some people.It's not a negative reflection on you; you can't get on with everybody, it's a simple fact!
- Remember your existing friends!! Don't neglect those relationships.
- One awesome friend is worth a hundred casual ones.
- Sometimes friendships you thought were tight just... peter out. Don't sweat it, some end, some change, some stick around forever.
- Ultimately (here's the cliche) just be yourself. If people don't like you for you, don't waste your time on them.
skittledragon has gotten 13 cheers on this entry.
- Dan Mayo cheered this 2 years ago
- sarahp43things cheered this 2 years ago
- TG cheered this 2 years ago
- SimplicityInTheLBC cheered this 2 years ago
- seeinglifeinanewway cheered this 2 years ago
- Kay cheered this 2 years ago
- Patricia Orellana cheered this 2 years ago
- channelofabundance cheered this 2 years ago
- edwards51102 cheered this 2 years ago
- MK82 cheered this 2 years ago
- bilie cheered this 2 years ago
- Sogotodi cheered this 2 years ago
- Spatz cheered this 2 years ago