www.lifeway.net/KidsKefir Delicious Probiotic Goodness For The Pickiest Eaters. Free Coupon!
about.com/How+To+Make+Kefir+At+Home How To Make Kefir At Home Search Now! Learn from Food & Drink Experts.
How to make kefir
How I did it: I checked on several local foodie blogs for sources of kefir "grains" (they don't look like grain, they look like blobs.) I got directions from her, and then had to improvise a bit to get my own routine down.
Lessons & tips:
- Kefir is a living thing. It helps to think of it as a pet. It needs to be fed and cared for, or it will die.
- Develop a routine for draining the kefir and then replenishing the milk.
- I found that using Ball jars (as for canning) with plastic lids (available from Amazon) worked well.
- You need a plastic strainer that fits the top of the container into which you are going to drain the kefir.
- I make what I need for one day. More than that becomes a bit overwhelming.
- Kefir makes a great "ranch" dressing.
- If you find the kefir too tart or strange, try shaking it up in a 50/50 mix with orange juice or any other juice you like.