How to write a will
How I did it: Talked to a friend to get a recommendation for a lawyer. Had some conversations with hubby about who would care for our child and have certain powers of attorney, etc.
Called the lawyer, went in, named beneficiaries, powers of attorney, etc. Went in a couple weeks later and signed all the copies with witnesses.
Lessons & tips:
- Before going to the lawyer or filling out forms, think about:
- Who you want to care for your children. (Plan a first choice and a backup choice.)
- Who you want to be executor of your will. This is the person who carries out the terms of the will.
- Who you want your assets to go to/be distributed to, and how.
- Who you want to make health care decisions for you.
- Who you want to have a general power of attorney. This person can carry out business on your behalf in case of your absence. (Like you're on vacation and are selling your home. This person could carry out the transaction for you.)
- Talk to those people so they know they are included!
- Talk to friends/neighbors for recommendations for attorneys, if you are going that route.
- Pick up the phone/pen and just do it! It isn't that complicated for most people.
Shannon Geisinger has gotten 1 cheer on this entry.
- Alizee cheered this 4 years ago