I finally got a day to go down to my sister-in-law’s home to see if the three drawers I have made fit. Friday was a beautiful day to drive the 150 miles to their home. Sunny, clear blue skies made the trip very nice.
Once there, I checked the drawer fronts and drawer lengths for fit. They were perfect. All I had to do it attached the drawer fronts to the drawers, put on the drawer pulls and install some inside slides and these three were in.
My sister-in-law was very happy and thought they looked so great. She was also happy to now have a place to put silverware and utensils.
I was so happy that she was happy with them.
So now I have confidence that I know what I am doing for this project and I can make the rest knowing they will fit.
Only ten more to go!!!
I got one drawer just about done and another started. Then i had what I thought could be a great idea.
About 5 of the drawers survived the flood. And these are made very well, solid oak, dove tail corners; very nice. It is a shame these cannot be used as the new cabinets are about an inch wider than the old. So my idea, cut the old drawer in half, glue in some wood pieces to bring to the new width and bingo; a new drawer.
A lot of saving in time and money. So I have one in clamps now. I hope this works.
My sister-in-law and brother-in-law’s home (the first floor at least) was destroyed in flood last fall. They live near Binghamton NY. The Susquehanna River flooded the area and did a lot of damage to the whole area. The live just across the road from the river.
The contractor they hired to redo the kitchen has been taking his sweet time and constantly asking for more money. Why was it taking so long and why was it costing so much? They finally found out through others in the area this guy is putting their money up his nose. So they got rid of him and took the loss. One more loss of time and money. So knowing they are tight for money I offered to at least make the drawers for the kitchen. They were going to buy them from Loew’s or some other big chain.
Drawers are pretty easy to make. They are just boxes and I have made a lot of drawers in the past so I know what I’m doing. (At least I think I do.)
I just need some measurements and also need to know what kind of drawer slides they want to use. A couple trips down there will be needed. Weekends are busy so I think a day or two off from work would be best for this.
I might be able to get this done in a month, maybe two. My SIL was fine with that. They have been waiting quite awhile so far so another month was fine with her. This should be a fun job.