Lately I find that I’ve been spending more and more time reading the Bible and to my surprise I realized that at my current rate I will finish the New Testament before the start of Lent. Not that I’m overly concerned about pace just that I’m pleased with the growing trend of reading for longer length of time as the year progresses.
Celtic Christian has written 4 entries about this goal
I am on track to finish well before the end of 2012 at my present rate. Personally I do not do so well with a lot of Bible reading schedules as often once I get started I keep on going as I tend to be really into the text and the message by the time the schedule tells me to stop for the day. I know that the schedules are well meaning and are intended to keep people on track with the minimal amount of reading to finish in a year but too often I find that they hold me back. Like imagine only talking with one’s significant other for 15 to 30 minutes a day which is the time on average it takes to read a days readings on a Bible in a year schedule? Sure it can keep a relationship going from drifting too far apart from developing the habit of not even talking with one another. Yet at the same time one needs to be investing a lot more time in one another in order to really thrive relational with each other, and so it is in our relationship with God.
This year I am going to be starting by reading through the New Testament before the Old Testament and then I will ideally read the New Testament (and maybe Psalms) a second time. This past year I feel like I likely spent too much time focusing upon the Old Testament and not enough upon the New Testament. Not that there is anything wrong with the Old Testament just that at the moment I think I need more emphasis upon the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles on how to better live as faithful Christians as my primary focus.
If anybody wants a simple reading checklist table that has a block to check off for each chapter of the Bible let me know. PM me your email address and I’ll send you a copy to print out and put in your Bible.
Celtic Christian has gotten 17 cheers on this goal.
- besidequietwaters cheered this 5 months ago
- noir neko cheered this 5 months ago
- EllieFunt cheered this 8 months ago
- butrflizrfree cheered this 8 months ago
- dragonfly35 cheered this 9 months ago
- DamiTrice cheered this 10 months ago
- elizabethmerchant cheered this 11 months ago
- gilloulalal cheered this 14 months ago
- StupendaFanciulla cheered this 15 months ago
- seasonsoflove cheered this 16 months ago
- *Takergirl* cheered this 16 months ago
- flutter is full of wonder cheered this 16 months ago
- moira123 cheered this 17 months ago
- lob cheered this 17 months ago
- Living In God's Exquisite, Miraculous Sufficiency cheered this 17 months ago
- Todd Schoonover cheered this 17 months ago
- TrueFreedom cheered this 17 months ago