I just listened to some Stevie Wonder and was reminded of another reason the harmonica is cool. So then I did a few more exercises, just because of the serendipity.
www.harmonica.com/ Setp-by-Step Learn The Harmonica Learn The Harmonica for Beginners
www.howardlevyharmonicaschool.com/ Learn online with Howard Levy. Watch free sample videos now
www.modernbluesharmonica.com/ Videos & tabs for instant download The real blues, from a top pro!
www.miatheodoratus.com/ 15 years teaching experience in NYC Private and Group lessons, all ages
DoctorTeeth has written 4 entries about this goal
I re-started my harmonica training a couple of weeks ago but I figured my retreat might be a good way to focus on it. I have a lot of instruments at my house, none of which I can play, so I’m starting with the easiest one and working my way up.
I have a combination CD, book, and harmonica that I got for Christmas YEARS ago and held on to because I always thought playing the harmonica was cool, because when my 99-year-old Granny had dementia she could still play the harmonica. So I’m going through the book and cd, and to be frank it’s a little below my level in terms of chords and time signatures, but I figure I should approach this like a completely new instrument and not a version of something else. Cheesy maybe, but hopefully it’ll work.
Seven chapters in so far and I’m noticing that I need to practice my accuracy on individual notes as well as hopping around all over to get chords. But there’s more practice in the future, I guess, so it’s going to come? And I don’t have to quit because I’m not perfect at it the first time?
I added this 2 months ago and then…nothing. Just goes to show you how well I commit to things.
Anyhow. I pulled out my harmonica and I played along with the instruction CD; it was just for 20 minutes and it’s not very hard, but I can see it getting more challenging towards the end. I will try and keep this up, practicing once every two days, and see how long it takes me to get through the teaching booklet – and see if I want to continue with this goal or not. So far: mildly fun.
My parents got me a cheap little harmonica and instruction book for Christmas 2005, and I didn’t think about actually pulling it out and trying to play it until I saw this goal on someone else’s list. But when I saw it, I thought, “That’s a little goal that would make me feel like I’d accomplished something, and it’s another odd talent I’d have at my disposal. I should do it!” I haven’t started yet – I want to start on a day when my wife’s not around so I don’t annoy her – but I think I’ll be able to get a start on it in the next couple of weeks. And once this first small step is done, who knows? It might lead to even more intricate playing, or maybe get me to try bigger and even scarier things.
DoctorTeeth has gotten 25 cheers on this goal.
- Ponyo cheered this 1 week ago
- fritopia cheered this 6 months ago
- italnola cheered this 11 months ago
- moonandabug cheered this 12 months ago
- Kira cheered this 12 months ago
- la lori cheered this 12 months ago
- outoftheclouds cheered this 13 months ago
- Peggy Hill cheered this 13 months ago
- GreenLongings cheered this 14 months ago
- Spatz cheered this 14 months ago
- octoberclovered cheered this 14 months ago
- Dreamdancer12 cheered this 14 months ago
- PCAB cheered this 16 months ago
- thelightfuntastic cheered this 19 months ago
- Adele cheered this 2 years ago
- Trauma_Junkie cheered this 2 years ago
- kathybacon cheered this 3 years ago
- Ru ~ dig deeper cheered this 4 years ago
- SuperunknownVortex cheered this 4 years ago
- MamaKitty cheered this 4 years ago
- kottavei cheered this 4 years ago