a good steward, I first have to make an inventory of what exactly I’ve been given…
1. I’ve been given TIME, the one resource equally distributed among all the inhabitants of this planet, and the most precious.
2. I’ve been given a BODY, which is the temple of God’s spirit, the only one I have; if I abuse it until it breaks down, I can’t replace it.
3. I’ve been given a WILL, so I can choose with liberty whatever course of action I want to take. Only I can decide in my best interests. If I let others decide for me through inaction or plain old indecision, I can’t later complain of what I get.
4. I’ve been given RELATIONSHIPS with different people, and it is my duty to cultivate them and make them blossom to the best of my ability. I can’t treat my relationships with the people in my life like disposable items than can be tossed and replaced with new ones.
5. I’ve been given MATERIAL POSSESSIONS that let me do my daily duties easier than my grandmother ever thought possible. Taking care of them shows my respect for God’s bounty and blessings and it also makes good economic sense :-)
6. I’ve been given A SPIRIT which is always longing for connection with the sacred and with my fellow humans.