3 weeks now without alcohol..
I know i have had this goal for a long time now, and i know travelling through Central America this year did not make it easier to achieve this..
But now when i`m back home it is easier to avoid alcohol..
During these 3 weeks i have had really bad urges to drink, mostly in the first 2 weeks, but now i don`t really feel like drinking, and that is a feeling i would very much want to keep:) I feel better when i don`t drink at all and my wish is to keep this up for the rest of 2013.. I need all the willpower i can possibly mobilize to achieve this goal.
Why do i want to do this?
(1) I have a history of depressions and i have used alcohol as “self medication”. This has only made my depressions worse, and i also think that sometimes the pain has stayed longer because to much alcohol causes the brain to lower the natural levels of dopamine and serotonin.
Less Dopamine means: less ability to feel happiness, motivation and less energy, low ability to concentrate and less power of initiative.
Less Seritonin: Higher levels of anxiety, more ability to feel fear and lower self-esteem etc..
(2) I do less things i regret if i don´t drink.. I have done some “stupid” things being drunk.. I have said stupid things i later regret, started fights and so on and so on..
(3) Every time i have tried to escape a problem or escape pain with alcohol, the problem or the pain did not go away (surprise!) Sometimes the pain or anxiety did only get worse. And i created new problems instead of solving some..
(4) I have only ONE brain! It is a fact that drinking too much destroys pathways between brain cells..Sometimes it´s better to forget, but not everything..
(5) I don´t want to get more addicted than this.. I feel i still have control over this, but for how long if i keep on drinking the way i have done?