but as close as I’ll get for now. I was at the 5th station of Mt Fuji today, surrounded by a cloud bank. Given that the climbing season ended 5 days before I could arrive, this was the best for which I could hope. The weather obviously didn’t cooperate. So, I’ll leave this for another goal in another time.
OtterGirl537 has written 5 entries about this goal
So it’s been about 12 hours since I got out of bed and I’m just now settling into my hotel. The 2 hour flight was a little more than that and delayed by the incoming storm to boot (I was so happy when we took off). Then there was customs and immigration and waiting for the bus. The bus ride itself was another 90 minutes (I was silly and picked a hotel further from Narita than just about any other. But now I’m here, getting settled and trying to figure out dinner. The thing it reminds me of the most is one must have a good sense of humor or risk going crazy on international travel.
August next year will have 2 full moons, a blue moon. Seems appropriate for the climbing adventure I have planned. I will have literally done it once in a blue moon. :) Lovely.
I think I’ll arrange the trip, if possible, to be around the full moon!
This looks like it will happen next August. It is recommended to take 2 days to prevent altitude sickness and allow one to reach the summit at sunrise.A sample list of items to bring for climbing Mt. Fuji (in August)
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Hiking boots or shoes (tough leather and/or expendable)
- Warm jacket or shell (something light enough to pack when it’s too hot to wear it)
- Long pants (or shorts along with some shell pants that you can pull out of your pack)
- Stocking hat and gloves (depending on how susceptible you are to cold these may optional or needed)
- Water (at least a couple of liters, unless you plan to buy drinks for high prices along the way)
- Money (for items on the way, staying in a hut, and also for emergency expenses)
- Food (for your meals and/or snacks, although plenty of food is available along the way at high prices)
- Daypack or large fanny pack (comfortable and big enough for the stuff you need to carry)
- Camera(s) to capture an incredible sunrise and outstanding view
OtterGirl537 has gotten 14 cheers on this goal.
- Lanie cheered this 13 months ago
- ghammatx cheered this 14 months ago
- wembleyheads cheered this 14 months ago
- Hoffy cheered this 15 months ago
- smorris cheered this 16 months ago
- Josh cheered this 16 months ago
- Eolyphe cheered this 17 months ago
- Pete cheered this 18 months ago
- carambolita cheered this 18 months ago
- quietrose cheered this 18 months ago
- totocorde cheered this 18 months ago
- PasadenaSue cheered this 18 months ago
- narcissusnymph cheered this 18 months ago
- PurpleHeather cheered this 18 months ago