I set up the account at the credit union, but my husband never bothered to sign the card, so it’s just sitting there, only in my name. I will contact the credit union, and make sure that they know that he will not be on the account. This will be the first step in my personal financial independence.
joie de vivre has written 4 entries about this goal
the debit card.
The next time I sit down to pay bills, I’ll start transiting over autopayments.
I joined Sound Credit Union. Their branch is over by the new Wal-Mart, not my favorite location, but I’ll live.
Step two will be to get my husband to go over and sign the cards, so he can be on the account, too.
Step three will be to order checks. I don’t want to do that until step two is completed.
When we moved here, I did research on all the local community banks, and decided to go with Pacific First Federal Savings because they had an excellent record of lending to all people in the community.
Washington Mutual bought PFF. That was tough, but at that time, WaMu was still a local savings bank, and we went along with it.
Fast forward to the Great Recession. WaMu craters under its load of junky loans. It is purchased by Chase.
We now have our accounts at Chase, as far away from PFF conceptually as one may go. I am all too aware that we are supporting the irresponsibility of the financial system by keeping our accounts there.
I have no time, I really don’t, to deal with this. But I feel strongly that it must get done. So if I can not do it personally, I will need to oversee it happening. My husband, bless his heart, is unemployed – is there some way I can persuade him to spend time on this? What about my daughter? Does she have spare time? How can she protest at Occupy Seattle and not see the contradiction of having a Chase debit card in her wallet?
November 5 is move your money to a credit union day. I will attempt to see this completed by that day.
The first task is to research which credit unions we could belong to. The ones that are near where we live are:
Boeing Employees Credit Union
First Technology Credit Union
Watermark Credit Union
Qualstar Credit Union
AlaskaUSA Federal Credit Union
All of these are just as convenient as our local Chase branch. Arguably, since First Tech is next to Trader Joe’s, while it’s a little further away, it’s actually more convenient.
joie de vivre has gotten 47 cheers on this goal.
- Optionally_Mine cheered this 4 months ago
- ApacheTear cheered this 5 months ago
- Cassie cheered this 5 months ago
- cats2kids6 cheered this 8 months ago
- Yisraela Ruth cheered this 8 months ago
- aisa_basia cheered this 10 months ago
- TashaBlue cheered this 11 months ago
- Mercedes cheered this 11 months ago
- usedtohaiku cheered this 11 months ago
- Dragon_Lady cheered this 12 months ago
- Lcee09 cheered this 13 months ago
- rockwilder cheered this 14 months ago
- Endrina cheered this 15 months ago
- SamSamanthaMantha cheered this 15 months ago
- meditation7 cheered this 15 months ago
- sue820 cheered this 16 months ago
- Amanda R cheered this 17 months ago
- a cheered this 18 months ago
- interlockingcircles cheered this 18 months ago
- AgneZed cheered this 18 months ago
- Tartsy cheered this 18 months ago