I have had to deal with the loss of a friendship this week, a female friendship of about 10 years. A misunderstanding about money has turned very ugly. I can’t believe some of the nasty things that spew forth in her emails.
But, then again, I have had to listen to her ‘opinions’ for the last couple of years -
- you shouldn’t be on anti-depressants, you shouldn’t be on all that medication (what, it’s better I be suicidal and miserable?)
- you need to go out and get a job (instead of being happy for me that I got on disability)
- you are wasting your money going to the Naturopathic Doctor and taking those herbal things
- you are wearing those lesbian sandals (Birkenstock’s, which I love)
- you are paranoid (brushing my teeth with bottled water in a foreign country)
... and on and on.
It’s a shame when a ‘friend’ can’t be happy and supportive, instead of jealous and full of put-downs.