This week, Husband is mostly out of town, so I was cooking just for myself. That gives me license to experiment more freely, since no one has to eat the results except me.
Here’s what I made:
- Shakshuka (new; pictured): the eggs didn’t really behave perfectly, but I think it will still taste fine
- Something that tried to be a soon tofu stew and failed utterly (new, and never to be repeated). However, a sufficient quantity of kimchi can rescue anything, including whatever that crap was.
- Pizza with a little bit of nduja, which is a yummy spicy spreadable sausage [new]
- Chickpea and herb salad
We have a lot of leftovers from last week, and Husband has a bunch of business dinners coming up this week, so we didn’t exactly strain ourselves to cook up a storm today.
Here’s what we made for the week:
- Oven-roasted flounder with bok choy and brown rice [new!]
- Oranges in balsamic-anise caramel sauce with Greek yogurt [new!]
- Black-eyed pea and kale stew [new, pictured]
- Thai stir-fry with chicken, squash, egg and a ridiculous amount of fish sauce
Almost everything we made this week was new!
- Flemish stew [new!] + braised carrots with thyme (we usually do this with sage instead)
- Kimchi and pork belly stir-fry [new!]
- Indian ground meat and peas—old standby dish, new recipe
Husband was out of town, so I picked all the dishes myself this week, and then a friend came over to help with some of the cooking. When the boy’s not around, I tend to cook vegetarian(ish), because I don’t really enjoy meat enough to put up with all the food handling issues.
Here’s what we/I made. Everything this week was new!
- Stir-fried yellow chives
- Bucatini with anchovy breadcrumbs (ok, tinned anchovies aren’t vegetarian, but they’re also not raw)
- Broccoli slaw with miso
- Chickpea salad with lemon and feta
Everything turned out pretty delicious!
- Capellini alla norma + bruschetta with peaches and ricotta [both new]
- Fried rice with leftover meat from Friday night’s dinner
The pic’s not mine, but it’s pretty close to our pasta dish. No blobs of ricotta though – we saved those for the bruschetta.
- Eggplant pizza
- Singapore noodles (new!)
- Cashew chicken with eggplants and gai lan
We have a ton of gai lan and two eggplants left over. If I have any time this week, I’ll do something with those.