It’s my new favorite thing to go out and check the progress of our compost. I’m finally starting to see the rich brown color of it and it’s exciting to think about the transformation.
www.compostbins.com/ Huge Compost Bins Selection in all Styles. Shop Now & Save 30% Off!
www.hayneedle.com/CompostBins Shop Compost Bins, Tumblers, Kitchen & Worm Composters & Save!
aswedishlime has written 10 entries about this goal
Perhaps I’m removing this prematurely, because we’re nowhere near having usable compost, but I want to clear some space on my “active” list.
We’ve got a countertop compost container that we are adding all of our scraps to, I check the bin outside nearly everyday, and we should be able to do a turnover this weekend. I’m pretty sure composting will be built into a solid habit in no time, and we’ll learn the tricks to get some great compost cookin’!
to go check up on it? :D
Got enough of a base layer of “browns” consisting of shredded cardboard and what twigs we could find in the yard, watered that down, added the “greens” we’ve been collecting with our kitchen scraps this week, and spread some old grass clippings we’d found piled up on the edge of the yard, and did a light misting over the top!
Locked the top and walked away!
We are composting!
for some “browns!”
At a much reduced price through a county incentive program!!
It is assembled and in our backyard, hungrily awaiting some food scraps.
Anyone want to state a case for one over the other?
Because with a real house and a real yard, we will have plenty of space for a compost bin or two.
Obviously, we haven’t moved yet, but I’d like to have this active and open again, so I can research how to get started, i.e. find materials and/or build one, so we can start composting as soon as possible.
I took someone’s advice and looked into worm composting (or vermaculture). Just ordered a couple of books from Amazon and will read voraciously on the subject. J is still very highly skeptical, but loves the idea of composting when we have a yard... I think if I can research enough about worm bins and find the right space in our house, he might be more amendable to the idea…we’ll see.
I’ve always wanted to compost, but I fear I don’t have SPACE for one…Can I really compost on my balcony? I thought I needed a yard…
Do I need one bin or two?
I’ve been reading those comments about bins in small spaces, and feel a little encouraged, but if anyone else wants to give me tips, please feel free to drop a note! Thanks!
aswedishlime has gotten 35 cheers on this goal.
- . cheered this 11 months ago
- AFrayedKnot cheered this 11 months ago
- irishka3 cheered this 11 months ago
- amandaperl cheered this 11 months ago
- TG cheered this 11 months ago
- thenewone cheered this 12 months ago
- adeleanderson cheered this 12 months ago
- tribute_to_erasmus cheered this 12 months ago
- Andromeda cheered this 12 months ago
- Dhwani M cheered this 13 months ago
- sitruunapuu cheered this 13 months ago
- Tartsy cheered this 13 months ago
- ~ John Lee ~ cheered this 13 months ago
- funchilde cheered this 2 years ago
- sarah cheered this 3 years ago
- javajug cheered this 3 years ago
- daisyheaded cheered this 3 years ago
- Flash cheered this 3 years ago
- dakini cheered this 3 years ago
- dragonfly35 cheered this 3 years ago
- nealcassady cheered this 3 years ago