- have your child read and write as much as possible
- your child may practice vocabulary and grammar on the foreign language Quiz pages
- for Latin class, www.quia.com/pages/cambridgeone.html will give students a head start on vocabulary and www.cambridgescp.com will help with both culture and translations.
- English, science and math sixth grade teachers will post summer review and enrichment activities on their teacher webpages
- teachers may give packets to help students over the summer, or if you have a particular worry, please contact your child’s teacher
Bruce Daley has written 6 entries about this goal
Fruits and vegetables
Bagel with jam
100% Fruit strips
Dried fruit like raisins or mangoes
Mozzarella sting cheese
Pita wedges and hummus
Frozen all fruit bars
Nonfat frozen yogurt
Today I took my two children on their first public bus ride. The terminal is only a few blocks from my house but I don’t use it very often which is understandable. In order to make the best use of public transit you need to look up the schedule beforehand, be a little early, find the exact place the bus stops, have exact change, and know in advance when to get off which we all practiced successfully today. This is just another example of why it is most often harder to be poor than rich. Since I have two cars taking the bus is not the path of least resistence to most places but if you don’t have a car it can be a better alternative than walking. It was a fun outing for us but most impactful to my 12 year old son. On the bus I asked him what should this bus represent to him and he answered “Freedom”.
12/02/06 Took my kids skiing. When my son got lost on the last run and ended up on the wrong side of the mounatin I refrained from giving him a hard time despite my worry. Instead I told him a) I was very thankful his delay was caused by being lost and not injured, b) complemented him on finding his way back himself (by contacting a ski instructor). He expected me to be angry and find fault, but instead listened carefully when I suggested c) that he needed to do a better job keeping up.
12/03/06 Recognized that Christmas is a holiday kids really enjoy. Despite some protest went Christmas shopping with my daughter and bought a Christmas tree with my son. Once it was up and decorated with presents under the branches I could tell it made them both feelhappy. They demonstrated their appreciation by helping me clean up the house before school without protest.
12/06/06 Started the process of organizing a father-son tennis tournament this summer.
12/09/06 Took care of son when illness prevented him from going on ski trip.
12/09/06 Attempting to rearrange Christmas so it is a better holiday for my childern.
Competition is health isn’t? That is the concept our market economy is built upon. Even if it isn’t, like it or not it is the culture we live in. So recently I came to the conclusion that to be a good divorced Dad I will have to compete with my ex-wife when it comes to winning the hearts and minds of my kids. Spending time with them, teaching them lessons that hopefully will be valuable to them throughout their lives, trying to lead by example are all well and good, but I also have to compete with my ex-wife especially making my house a fun place to live. Fortunately I have a plan, but any suggestions would be welcome.
10/30/06 Took my son to his basketball practice
10/31/06 Spoke with my kids about Halloween
11/2/06 Play soccer at the parents practice, cooked a diner they like.
11/3/06 Helped my son cook dinner. Went out with another family to a movie.
11/4/06 Went as a family to the tennis center to hit tennis balls. Bought them things for their room. Helped my daughter cook dinner.
11/5/06 Went to see the daughter-horse-father film Flicka with my daughter.
11/08/06 On my night cooked the kids a great dinner – tea basted pork tenderloin with cherries.
11/11/06 Invited my kids to hit tennis balls with me.
11/12/06 Clipped out something from the paper my son was involved with and put it away for him.
11/15/06 Cooked the kids a diner they like – Hamburgers, Mash Potatoes, Salad and walked into town center for ice cream.
11/16/06 Made them a breakfast they like hash browns, cinnamon rolls and O.J.
11/26/06 Took by son to book store because he did not have anything to read.
Bruce Daley has gotten 37 cheers on this goal.
- jmatthews76 cheered this 8 months ago
- amoverhere cheered this 9 months ago
- Lost Wayfarer cheered this 13 months ago
- lOVeIsXtasY cheered this 20 months ago
- oceanlights cheered this 2 years ago
- Purposedriven12345 cheered this 2 years ago
- bec012 cheered this 4 years ago
- SaraBella81 cheered this 4 years ago
- Wanderlust08 cheered this 5 years ago
- thisthin cheered this 5 years ago
- Lynn cheered this 5 years ago
- Luz de la Luna al Amanecer cheered this 5 years ago
- A Staggering Rat of Heartbreaking Something or Other cheered this 5 years ago
- acqua555 cheered this 5 years ago
- Summtime cheered this 5 years ago
- vivacekate cheered this 5 years ago
- Chris Pine cheered this 5 years ago
- mermaid53 cheered this 5 years ago
- keptSecret cheered this 5 years ago
- ihaveneatstuff cheered this 5 years ago
- Emelle cheered this 5 years ago