because I really am losing weight—really slowly, but I am doing it. And I decided that I/we just don’t have the money for me to buy a ton of transitional clothes. Plus it’s hard for me to find time to shop, and I am really, really, really picky, so it’s hard work for me to find things I like enough to buy. (Which is ironic, because then I end up wearing “subprime” things just because I happen to own them.) When I get to an acceptable (to me) weight and stay there, I’ll start working on buying things again.
Anyway, I’ve bought very little lately. Honestly, the only things I think I’ve gotten myself recently are things for my mom’s wake and funeral. I just had nothing suitable. I didn’t even have a dressy winter coat, and as a pallbearer, I was very visible coming into and exiting the church and at the cemetery. But it worked out. For example, the first store I went into for a coat had only one dressy winter coat left—and it was my size and marked way down. And then I had a huge problem finding long-sleeved things, since it was right before Easter, so despite being early March, everything was flowery and sleeveless. But then I remembered a catalog outlet store near us and found a simple black dress, absolutely what I wanted, again in only one size, and since they were closing right then and shoving us out the door, I bought it without trying it on. And though it was marked a size higher than I usually wear, it fit perfectly when I got it home. Such a relief.
Anyway. That was all a tangent. My update on this goal is this: I went through my closet and cedar chest and dresser and everywhere I keep clothes, and tried everything
on. I got rid of some junky stuff, then sorted the rest:
- nice things I just don’t like (I may take them to a consignment store)
- things too small for me still (only 5 or 6 things!)
- things now too big for me, now hidden in an inaccessible place but kept in case of major backsliding. (disappointingly few fit this category, but still, yay that some did!)
- things I now fit into easily that were stressfully tight before (many things, a big relief!)
- things that are kind of too big for me, but won’t actually fall off my body if worn. I need to keep these and keep wearing them if I don’t want to spend a lot on transitional clothes.
Even though I haven’t added to my wardrobe, I sort of have, by returning items that were too tight to the rotation. And now I really know what I have, rather than things languishing around, forgotten. I feel much more able to dress for any occasion now.
Oh, and I eliminated all the wire hangers from every closet in my house. Like Mommie Dearest: “No wire hangers!”