It’s official … Evelyn from City of Seattle replied to my email and clarified:
- used coffee cups go into the recylce bin (but have to be rinsed)
- plastic coffee cup lids currently go into trash (even though they’re above the 3” diameter threshold for recycling plastic lids)
So, all paper coffee cups (wax coated or not) go to recycle. Lids go to trash.
If coffee cups are indeed coated (somehow I don’t want to believe that) then I guess they just go in the garbage. Lame! Clean, coated paper goes in the recycle.
I’m reading the Seattle mailer now and most of it makes sense, but there are a few questions:
- where do I put paper coffee cups which I believe may be “coated”?
- where do I put the same used paper coffee cups?
- do I just dump plastic coffee lids in the recycle or the compost?
- how about tea bags (I’m a tea drinker) – compost or garbage?
I have other questions, too, but I’ll try to sort through these this week.