My husband works in the construction industry – who knew he has wanted to become a GC and remodel/build houses? After 20 something years, there is still so much to discover about that handsome man!
www.pch.com/dream-home Win $3 Million For Your Dream Home! Free Entry at PCH.com As Seen On TV
www.budgetmybuild.co/ budgeting for your remodel, addition, or new build for free!
www.devry.edu/ DeVry University® Online. Career Focused Degree Programs, Get Info.
www.fairwayhomeswest.com/ From 480 Sq Ft or a Custom Design Energy Built Homes From $52,900
ask.com/How+To+Build+A+New+Home Explore How To Build A New Home. Get Answers Now on Ask.com.
kmom2468 has written 7 entries about this goal
Got some good ideas while living in hotels for the last two weeks. Like I really like the look of stone, but I’m not so sure I want to take care of it – ceramic tile to the rescue!
Since I can’t do anything too physical right now, and for every 20 minutes of activity I still have to sit for 30 minutes, I’ve been watching a lot of TV. Taking notes from HGTV and DYI Netowrk like I’m in school, LOL!
- can you live in a trailer on site during construction
- track prices & always have your price list with you so you know when there’s a good deal
- be realistic about budget
- changes = more money
- consider the costs of everything, down to light swtich plates and door knobs
I have the original version of this book and haunt the website. Soooo much good information here for both the design phase and the building phase.
Some misc tips
- have spares for critical equipment if possible
- over plan
- buget in minute detail
- One on building a cabin – I know I’m designing a house, but I am thinking of incorporating cabin-like features. Also, it has tips on how to build things
- One on building “grey water usage” into your house
- One on water storage (assuming you have a well or for rain water cachement)
This should keep me amused for a bit.
I suppose I should learn how to build one so that when the time is right, I’ll at least have a clue about what goes into one…even if I don’t build it myself, this should let me at least speak intelligently with the contractors…