I’ve just discovered the works of Michael Phillips. He has a book on Holistic Orcharding that I am going to get myself for Christmas. It is so what I was starting to realize when I grew my little apple trees in Nevada – but wasn’t quite sure what I was trying to do – until I saw one of his Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn4fNZXWORI
I’m so glad I discovered this while still in the planning stages of my future orchard! Hoping to become a land owner in 2014!
kmom2468 has written 31 entries about this goal
After having this goal for over 5 years, it looks like I’m the only one writing about this goal? C’mon all you people heading down this journey – what are you doing to move you closer to accomplishing this goal?
For around $100K, looks like we can get 4 or 5 acres and a house from the 1960’s… the plan is slowly forming in our brains! 14 more Jeep payments and we will be very nearly debt free. Our income to debt ratio will be awesome and our credit will be moving back up. Yay!
Hubby and I took the long way to the recycle/garbage transfer station today – enjoyed seeing the autumn tree colors and cows in their pastures. I could feel his heart aching for a piece of land as much as mine is. It still was a good and beautiful ride, though, and it strengthened our resolve.
It is just in it’s beginnings, so I’d really be interested in any type of feedback, but especially about what type of articles you’d like to see here. I homesteaded and was pretty self-sufficient in the Nevada High Desert. Now that we’ve moved 2500 miles, we are starting over. But many of the lessons learned are applicable or adaptable to anywhere.
Not ready to purchase, yet, as we have a lot of debt right now. But I think after one more year of renting, we will be ready. So I read, dream, and note down features I like/don’t like, and areas that are within commuting distance. So much dreaming, so much hoping. In the mean time, we are at least HERE, and back home in The South.
I miss having my own land that I can dig in, build on, and be part of. The lovely Magnolia Tree with its many denizens is a comfort, but I know I am not destined to watch it through the years. I suppose all things are transient, so I shouldn’t worry – but it makes me want to be on land all the sooner.
REALLY tiny, right now – a small rosemary in a 6” pot, and some basil and spearmint cuttings in jars on the kitchen counter. BUT, it is the beginning of the herb garden that I will have once we have land again!
And, that’s a good thing because ~
We are finally moving to a climate that is hospitable to growing things!
That being said, I am still reaping the rewards of prior effort:
1) Irises will be blooming soon
2) Strawberries are setting fruit
3) Discovered some small, lost garlic growing “wild” in the weeds
4) Although my rosemary died (it ISN’T supposed to survive our winters), all the rest of the herbs are back
5) Apple trees bloomed beautifully earlier this year, but as usual, will probably not hold their fruit long enough to ripen (45 – 60 MPH wind knocks them off when they get golf ball sized)
And, ok, I am not capable of “not gardening,” so I planted several dozen bean seeds. I don’t need to feed them. They pretty much take care of themselves. Just have to water them.
One of my favorites is Nature’s Harmony Farm’s pod cast. Trying to beef up my virtual library so that when the time comes, I’ll be well armed. Learning as much as I can while I am in a semi-holding pattern here.
kmom2468 has gotten 105 cheers on this goal.
- HippieChick2 cheered this 5 days ago
- BizzyBee13 cheered this 1 week ago
- Elyse_Mtl cheered this 1 week ago
- alter_eggo cheered this 2 weeks ago
- bernaberry cheered this 1 month ago
- 1RL cheered this 1 month ago
- debsilou cheered this 1 month ago
- liamr22 cheered this 1 month ago
- S19111 cheered this 1 month ago
- Harmless Dilettante cheered this 1 month ago
- Optionally_Mine cheered this 1 month ago
- girlwitglasses cheered this 1 month ago
- beauty11 cheered this 1 month ago
- proudauzzie cheered this 2 months ago
- jacketpocket cheered this 2 months ago
- Thaddeau II Engaling cheered this 3 months ago
- Jennifer cheered this 3 months ago
- mahomajuza cheered this 4 months ago
- zawarm cheered this 5 months ago
- senji1101 cheered this 5 months ago
- Nepeta Thompson cheered this 5 months ago