DH and I got back a few hours ago. A good time was had by all. We went to the Deer Canyon Campground at Crystal Cove State Park. I’ve written up a brief description of the trip at 43 Places.
madamwitty has written 8 entries about this goal
We haven’t put everything in our packs yet, but we’ve got all our supplies.
Unfortunately, Brother #2 twisted his ankle yesterday, so he won’t be coming along :-( DH and I have yet to hear back whether his friend still wants to come. I suspect not.
We’ve decided it’s not going to rain this weekend so we’re really going to go. DH is a little dismayed that I’ve chosen a location with no natural water, so we’ll have to pack it all in. It shouldn’t be too bad, though, since we’re only staying one night.
We still need to buy some food but we have most of our other supplies. We also need to pack our backpacks and figure out what containers we’ll use to carry all that water.
Our trip has been postposed by two weeks, to Nov 4-5, for two reasons. First of all, I was planning on having my brother and his friend come along, but he realized that he couldn’t make it. DH and I could have gone alone (as he put it, “there is some appeal to that”) but I was also gone for a large portion of the week on a business trip. We felt it would be less overwhelming to put off the trip and give ourselves more time to plan it.
Two weeks to go!
and we decided to set October 20-21 as our primary date and November 4-5 as our rain date, and we know which state park we want to go to. Next steps are to call the park to check on some details, and to talk to N to see if he wants to come along.
- Decide on a date, rain-date, and location for backpacking (by 9/24)
- Make a list of all the backpacking gear we need and inventory what we have (by 10/1)
- Send an email to find out who wants to come with us and what gear they have/need (by 10/1)
- Buy remaining gear (at least one week before)
- Coordinate details (e.g. driving, meals, etc.) with the other people who are coming (one week before)
- Buy food (2 days before)
- Gather and pack all the gear (a few days ahead of time, leaving us time to think of any last-minute items or rethink whether we actually need to bring everything we packed)
- Go on the trip. Don’t forget the camera!
I’m hoping to pick up a backpack frame this coming weekend when we visit DH’s family. They should have one or two sitting around we could borrow.
My recent camping trip has inspired me to want to take a backpacking-camping trip. My goal is to do this by the end of the year, but I think I can realistically do it by mid- to late-October. I’ve talked it over with DH and he said he’d be willing to go. We both agree we need to get into better shape before we do, though, which is why I’m giving us a couple months of biking to work before we try to go. I’m pretty sure our friend N. will want to go, and Brother #2 and our friend D. might also be interested.