I’m thinking of rereading… yeah? :)
mikaela has written 10 entries about this goal
Always do my best, always do my best, always do my best.
Just reminding myself :)
I’ve been keeping my four agreements in the front of my mind. Don’t make assumptions is a current theme. I’ve been asking a lot of questions that I would not have in the past, instead of letting my mind create dramatic and complex stories. Along the same lines, I’ve acknowledged uneasy feelings and been super-communicative (ie: http://www.43things.com/entries/view/2009322).
I’ve not been doing the affirmations, but plan on restarting within the next day or two.
I’ve also started reading Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz with my partner (http://www.43things.com/person/Jradosky), in which there is a lot of four agreements “stuff.” In chapter two, for instance, Don Miguel expounds on the idea and effects of domestication.
Finally, I bought the Four Agreements Companion (http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=9781878424310). I’ve not started it yet, but plan to once I’ve finished The Mastery of Love.
I reread The Four Agreements, which should make the whole “live the four agreements” thing even easier, as it’s fresh in my mind.
Not unexpectedly, I picked up on different lessons in the book this time around. To help me really live these agreements, I thought I’d create some affirmations using text from the book. The entire last three chapters, The Toltec Path to Freedom/Breaking Old Agreements, The New Dream/Heaven on Earth and Prayers, would be suitable as one giant affirmation, but I thought it might be too bulky ;)
I copied the text below into my journal last night and read them out loud first thing (before I even got out of bed) this morning. They’re not word-for-word from the book; I edited them to be more affirmation-y. They’re written separately here so that I could include page references, but I read them as one out loud:
- I am awake, I see the sun, I give my gratitude to the sun and to everything and everyone, because I am still alive. I have one more day to be myself. (pg. 119)
- Today, I agree to be the warrior I am meant to be. The warrior has awareness. The warrior has control. (pg. 117)
- I open my eyes and look outside. I see love coming out of the trees, love coming out of the sky, love coming out of the light. I will perceive love from everything around me. This is the state of bliss. I perceive love directly from everything, including myself and other humans. (pg. 124)
- I see myself living a new life, a new dream, and I am free to be who I really am. (pg. 124)
- I have permission to be happy and to really enjoy my life. My life is free of conflict with myself and with others. (pg. 125)
- I live my life without judging others. I can easily forgive and let go of any judgments I have. I respect myself and everyone else, and they respect me in return. (pg. 125)
- I love myself just the way I am, I love my body just the way it is, and I love my emotions just the way they are. I know I am perfect just as I am. (pg. 126)
- I live in the state of grace, the state of bliss, the dream of heaven. (pg. 126)
I love that last part, “I live in the state of grace.” Sigh.
I believe that reviewing these first thing this morning helped me with two other “things” of mine: kick ass at work and create and stick to a morning schedule with my son. I managed to avoid a couple specific, and what would have been emotionally-driven conflicts at work today, and AC and I got out of the house with time to spare :)
I plan to read the above passages each morning, from my bed. What a lovely way to start the day!
To remind ourselves daily of our incredible connection and our ideal to live the four agreements, L and I got tattoos this weekend.
Live the Four Agreements. That was the plan for our tattoo. After much deliberation and discussion with our tattoo artist, Paul (from Gallery of Living Arts in Lansdale), we finally figured out how to do it.
The flower and bud combination on the lower right quadrant of the cover of the book, "describes the agreements quite well. The first agreement, ‘Be Impeccable With Your Word’ is the big one, and the other three agreements really hinge on practicing the first. So, the fully bloomed flower represents this first agreement and the three buds are the second, third and fourth."
Hells. Yeah. :)
If it weren’t for the Four? I’d be dead after this weekend.
Not more than 20 minutes after I wrote that last post, I picked up my son from an after school jam, and he tells me that his boy stole his hand held gaming system. He got caught, and his parents were called to pick him up early.
How happy was I – what, with a perfect real life example of how shit happens, people make bad decisions, and my goodness… It’s got nothing to do with you
I assured Avery that his friend stealing his gear had absolutely nothing to do with him. They’re buddies, and I promised him that they still are. What he did? Had nothing to do with Avery and everything to do with his gaming system. He didn’t do anything to him, he didn’t do anything because of him – he did it for the game.
It is what it is – shit, we’ve all made bad decisions, right?
I love real life application :P
Betrayal? They didn’t do that to me. They did what they had to do – it had nothing to do with me.
Theft? S/he didn’t do that because of me or my son. I can’t imagine the spot one must be in her/his head to steal a child’s bike. (http://mdmintake.blogspot.com/2007/01/friiiiday.html)
Dang… I <3 agreement 2!
I really, truly do feel immune to the “opinions and actions of others.” It’s liberating!
I find myself wondering why I am so not upset with the ugly things going on around me. It’s because I refuse to be a “victim of needless suffering.” Forget that, man. We all must sleep with ourselves at the end of the day, right? I’m not the one who has to live with such a heavy weight on my shoulders. Thank God. Pair that with some compassion – who am I to judge? – and I’m ready to move on.
“Don’t take anything personally”
Yeah. I’m all about this one these days.
“Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.”
Yeah, man :)
The Four Agreements
Be impeccable with your word
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
Don’t take anything personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
Don’t make assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want.
Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
Always do your best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.
mikaela has gotten 16 cheers on this goal.
- Pip333 cheered this 4 years ago
- accentjim cheered this 5 years ago
- LOAS1130 cheered this 5 years ago
- alexw07 cheered this 6 years ago
- 7apples cheered this 6 years ago
- Maryann Kudera cheered this 6 years ago
- KTRON cheered this 6 years ago
- Karen cheered this 6 years ago
- bookmanu - See where my books are running cheered this 6 years ago
- Elusive Sleuth cheered this 6 years ago
- dragonfly29 cheered this 7 years ago
- Hawaiianmalibu2006 cheered this 7 years ago
- bipet cheered this 7 years ago
- annamaria08 cheered this 7 years ago
- Jradosky cheered this 7 years ago
- poeta cheered this 7 years ago