The Maple Leafs are leading 4-1, 9 minutes into the 3rd. The impossible that changed to the improbable has changed to the holy toledo!
A Staggering Rat of Heartbreaking Something or Other has written 31 entries about this goal
of Timothy Eaton sits on the main floor of the Royal Ontario Museum – not in the exploding crystal part, which is an abomination, but don’t get me started – outside the theatre. His left foot is shiny and inviting. (One is supposed to rub the toe for good luck and many, many people have indulged.) He is Canadian history and lore all rolled into one.
I go get ‘im every time I’m there.
in the Ontario election last week. “Despite fine weather,’ noted the Globe and Mail with amazement.
The province is not ready to vote NDP. PC is the faltering bastion outside of the GTA. There is grudging acceptance among those who bothered to vote that returning Dalton McGuinty, but to a Liberal minority, is the lesser of however many evils.
A 48% turnout suggests the Apathy Party was a howling success.
this week is coloured orange in honour of Jack Layton. Even the lights on the CN Tower are orange. And I have never seen so many bicycles on city streets.
I did not expect such an outpouring of condolences for a politician. I think Mr. Layton’s message of hope and love allowed him to transcend his place in Canadians’ hearts beyond that of “another political leader”.
Before he died, he left a letter to followers, his party, the youth of Canada and to Canadians at large. Here is an excerpt:
“And finally, to all Canadians: Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. We can be a better one – a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity. We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. We can look after our seniors. We can offer better futures for our children. We can do our part to save the world’s environment. We can restore our good name in the world. We can do all of these things because we finally have a party system at the national level where there are real choices; where your vote matters; where working for change can actually bring about change…
My colleagues in our party are an impressive, committed team. Give them a careful hearing; consider the alternatives; and consider that we can be a better, fairer, more equal country by working together. Don’t let them tell you it can’t be done.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
All my very best,
1. Echo Beach / Martha and the Muffins
2. Ahead By A Century / the Tragically Hip
3. I Beg Your Pardon / Kon Kan
4. Help I’m Alive / Metric
5. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald / Gordon Lightfoot
6. Neighbourhood #2 (Laika) / the Arcade Fire
7. I’m An Adult Now / the Pursuit of Happiness
8. I Love Myself Today / Bif Naked
9. The Lines You Amend / Sloan
10. No Time / the Guess Who
I said, on a long long walk down Yonge from Patachou. We stopped at a greengrocer selling fresh produce along the sidewalk and bought a bagful of them and of wild leeks (ramps)... soon there will be tiny fraises de bois in season. I look forward!
And so they were steamed, sprinkled with sea salt and given a pat of melty sweet butter.
these were our national animal. (We pick a different colour every year, I said. It’s great to be Canadian!)
Since there was a spare half hour or so before ballet, I thought it a fine thing to make a mess of butter tarts. I told my beloved It is a Canadian tradition to break them apart, gently, in one’s hand so the beautiful runniness trickles through one’s fingertips and traces a sweet line down one’s hand.
He said Um….......yeah.
whilst tearing open a package from Zimmerman’s:
Malt balls are our national food, the country’s staple, next to beer and smoked salmon. I take one in my hand and hold it out.
He pauses, squints.
Thus anointeth Epic Sunshine a Canadian.
and for the next three or four days, summer is here.
A Staggering Rat of Heartbreaking Something or Other has gotten 98 cheers on this goal.
- Poetry Man cheered this 2 weeks ago
- onesweetworld01 cheered this 1 month ago
- seeking~serenity cheered this 2 months ago
- Off_The_Ground cheered this 4 months ago
- fieldsofclover cheered this 5 months ago
- Cornucopia cheered this 6 months ago
- inner guru cheered this 6 months ago
- wunderland cheered this 6 months ago
- dragonfly35 cheered this 6 months ago
- amandaperl cheered this 8 months ago
- The Chocolate Girl! cheered this 9 months ago
- indiannie_jones cheered this 10 months ago
- Josh cheered this 15 months ago
- starburst1982 cheered this 15 months ago
- mwink cheered this 16 months ago
- sammeee cheered this 16 months ago
- Pitchounette2012 cheered this 17 months ago
- CENUSAREASA cheered this 18 months ago
- soundoftrees cheered this 18 months ago
- Chalmsey cheered this 18 months ago
- Eimear cheered this 18 months ago