...finding a job. Just re-thinking it.
speedracer4kq has written 6 entries about this goal
I should know better than to expect to find a dream job browsing through job sites. I know this doesn’t work even for finding a job period, let alone the perfect one. But at the moment I’m feeling a bit of pressure in this regard.
I need to find all the papers and brainstorms I was using while reading “What Color is Your Parachute?” I need to focus on what I want to do. However, this coupled with the thought of possibly not having a job for a bit is very hard to accept. I can’t stand the thought of not working. Actually, the fear isn’t not working, it’s not having any income.
...to better suit what I want to do. Previously, I wanted to “find my dream job”. Unfortunately, that is neither realistic nor the correct way to approach this subject. A dream job is one of two things: a job that exists in your dreams or a dream in which you love your job.
I want a job that fits me. A job where I get to use my favorite skills and those skills also being ones I’m good at using. This is a key element. Not just doing something I like, but also something I’m good at doing. And in addition, this job would be located in my ideal environment: physically and with relation to other people. Whether that be in the middle of a forest alone or among hundreds of other people in cubicles, or vice versa (if that existed).
I wouldn’t necessarily say I have a green thumb, but my parents both do. Maybe I inherited a bit.
In any case, it’s creative, I could draw more, be outside, work with my hands, be physical, I’d actually create something – create beauty. I do have a degree in Biology, so if I went back to school, it’s not tooooooo much of a stretch.
Anyway, it’s still just an idea.
I’m having a hard time keeping the momentum for this one up. I’m still working on my Flower diagram (as described in What Color is Your Parachute?) I’ve kindof made a list of transferable skills. I’m not sure I’m done yet, though. Actually, it’s more I don’t think I’ve put in the time necessary thinking about it.
Figuring this out should be my number one goal. I have more or less promised myself that I will not be in the same job a year from now. I think I’ll shoot myself I don’t keep this one.
I’m currently reading “What Color is Your Parachute?”, which I highly recommend for anyone looking to change careers or simply looking for a job.
I’m trying to define my ‘transferable skills’. This is not very easy. But I’ve found it helps to talk with friends and see what they think my transferable skills are. It helps get an idea of yourself if you’re having trouble.
speedracer4kq has gotten 27 cheers on this goal.
- Faith cheered this 7 years ago
- Timid Magick cheered this 7 years ago
- amelli cheered this 7 years ago
- Wendy cheered this 7 years ago
- jkuhl cheered this 7 years ago
- Todd Schoonover cheered this 7 years ago
- roxi cheered this 7 years ago
- nobodysperfect cheered this 7 years ago
- Amazingkae cheered this 7 years ago
- Jen cheered this 7 years ago
- Benji cheered this 7 years ago
- bmcatee cheered this 7 years ago
- Kat cheered this 7 years ago
- Sarah - spunky the pop monkey cheered this 8 years ago
- treeofwords cheered this 8 years ago
- Andrew Smyk cheered this 8 years ago
- sitio cheered this 8 years ago
- hello angie cheered this 8 years ago
- Dakota cheered this 8 years ago
- bananapancakes cheered this 8 years ago
- Ellie cheered this 8 years ago