- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup baking soda, into
- 3 cups hot water
Dissolve yeast into warm water.
Add sugar, then flour& mix well- do not ‘knead’ as this toughens the dough.(Mix just until combined well)
Let rise until doubled, at least 20 minutes.
Divide into 12 pieces, roll into long ropes.
Shape into pretzel shapes, then dip into prepared dipping solution.
Place on well-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with pretzel salt (or leave plain).
Bake at 250c for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.
Brush pretzel with melted butter.
- unsalted ones can be buttered after baking and rolled in cinnamon sugar. Or brush them with garlic butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese…YUM!
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cm piece ginger, grated
- 2 long red chili, seeds removed 1 x finely chopped, 1 x sliced for serving
- 500 g pork mince
- 2 teaspoons Szechwan peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- spring onion, finely chopped for garnis
Heat oil in wok over medium heat.
Stir-fry shallot, ginger and chilli for 1-2 minuets until fragrant. Add pork mince and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned.
Add spices, then cook stirring for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add soy, honey and lime juice, cook,stirring for a few minutes until pork is cooked and liquid has been absorbed.
Stir coriander in to pork mixture and garnish with strips of chilli, ginger and spring onion.
edited to add: I missed adding the 5 spice…in the end I dont think it really needed it and will most likely skip it next time too.