Emily has written 3 entries about this goal
When I was a little girl, before I had any concept of how many authors and books and languages there were, I used to think I could read every book ever written. Once I figured out that wasn’t possible, I was pretty frustrated.
But the more I read, the more I realize that not everything is worth reading. There are a lot of bad books out there. It doesn’t really come down to how much you read, it comes down to what you read.
I’ve started making a list of books I feel I have to complete before being able to declare that I’m well-read. For me, being well-read doesn’t just mean having a working knowledge of the classics.
After doing a little Googling for some list ideas, I came across this really great site. You can print out a blank reading list that has several areas of literature – 18th century novels, epic poetry, science, etc. Then you can fill in the list with some of their suggestions.
It isn’t perfect – for example, I think “world literature” is a pretty broad topic – but it’s definitely a great place to help you start thinking about what you need to read.
Once you have a general idea of what you want to add to your list, I suggest checking out the lists here. They’re a little more involved, but worth a look.
February 4th, which is a LONG time for me. It was a really mediocre book with a bizzare cult following that thinks it’s amazing. I seem to be reading a lot of those books lately, which is why my reading has lagged I suppose.
That and I’m reading a collection of Saul Bellow’s short stories right now, and they’re a little dense. In a good way. Still though, not a quick read.
I need to get my ass in gear! I know there are lots of amazing books out there that I haven’t read yet. In fact, there are lots of amazing books in my room that I haven’t read yet.
Emily has gotten 24 cheers on this goal.
- Kelsey cheered this 22 months ago
- Digitally Personified (heterotically degenerated) cheered this 2 years ago
- danidee27 cheered this 3 years ago
- lifemosaic cheered this 4 years ago
- diana234 cheered this 4 years ago
- krschfld cheered this 4 years ago
- Edge of Glory cheered this 4 years ago
- rabbit_91 cheered this 5 years ago
- HulaHoop cheered this 5 years ago
- Katie cheered this 5 years ago
- pallas__athena cheered this 6 years ago
- Laurel Fan cheered this 6 years ago
- grasshopperking0 cheered this 6 years ago
- Sir Aaron cheered this 7 years ago
- ~lg! cheered this 7 years ago
- do impossible things cheered this 7 years ago
- the fringed one cheered this 7 years ago
- catherineaq cheered this 7 years ago
- KatKan89 cheered this 7 years ago
- allogenes cheered this 7 years ago
- Amissio cheered this 7 years ago