In this case it is the innocent task of “making our kitchen nicer.”
This involves three tasks…
We decided that it would be nice to have an upgrade to the old laminate counter kitchen with the heavily aged stainless steel sink. (they MAY be steel, but they certainly are NOT stainless!).
Then there is a window seat that has been teethed upon by a certain Border Collie…
So it begins…
So many, many decisions.
What kind of sink?
What kind of counter?
What to do with the chewed up window seat?
A different kind of laminate?
Discovering that some of these options end up being in the same league as a medium sized battleship relative to the state treasury of HOME…
We look again.
Marble or Quartz tile?
Stone tile pretty.
Stone tile expensive but less so than solid surfaces….
Stone counter would be out of keeping with the rest of the local building standards (think crafts-many cottages).
Ceramic or Porcelain?
Porcelain. Doable by me.
Now a sink…
Colors and materials galore…
Something other than stainless which ain’t.
Here we go again!
Cast iron is durable… but drop anything and it will go smash.
It will also chip.
And did I mention that it weighs like a battleship?
It cracks and scratches easily….
Weighs more than acrylic.
Solid through and through, if you chip, it is the same throughout.
costs less than many similar options.
Add one granite sink.
The window seat….
With teeth marks.
Steel overlay? (Might crack dog teeth….).
There is a lot to prep.
Tear out the old surfaces…
Did I mention I didn’t have a lot of tools for working with ceramic tile?
Got the old surfaces stripped and prepped.
The sink didn’t arrive, so get a back-up sink and return the ordered sink when it gets here (originally supposed to be here last Thursday… now it will be a week from today LOL).
Get the old sink out.
It fights tooth and nail.
It wanted to stay.
The old sink is out.
Test fit the new sink to check opening is ok.
It doesn’t fit.
Not because of the opening…
But because it is an Old Cabinet and a classic (we like it.)
Just below the correctly sized opening the old cabinet displays that it has internal partitions that are eighteen inches across.
The new sink needs 22 inches.
Rebuild inside of cabinet.
Test fit again.
The sink doesn’t fit.
This time it is because the new sink has a 10 inch deep side sink and an 8 inch prep sink. The old plumbing used a six inch deep sink. And NOW I know why. There was literally two and a half feet of solid copper supply line feeding into the old cabinet.
The new sink needed two inches less pipe, or pipe that was 1/2 inch further toward the back.
Become a plumber.
This involved removing two control valves, shortening the pipe, configuring a new supply line for the dishwasher while keeping the supply line for the ice maker.
Did I mention copper pipe.
Thank G_d for compression valves and copper pipe cutters.
I have completed the plumbing.
Bought backer board.
Tomorrow…. I start to tile.
To be continued….