My nexus isn’t visible on my linux box why?
microsoft-support.fixnow.us/ Get Microsoft Support Now!. Call 1-877-238-7147 (TollFree)
www.techsoup.org/Microsoft-Nonprofits Nonprofits only: Get full version software donated by Microsoft.
microsoft-windows.fix-kit.com/ Fix Microsoft Windows Problems Now. (Recommended) Microsoft Windows Fix
www.yidio.com/movie/Flick Find Full Length Movie and Trailers Watch Flick Instantly.
Digitally Personified (heterotically degenerated) has written 43 entries about this goal
Luckily thanks to Linux and a little program called remastersys I was able to get my system up and running once I sourced a new hard drive to replace the crashed unit. I took the time to rearrange my disk configuration and set up a different partition table (see image) I’ve split my six disk array into one set of 2 raid zero with one spare hot swap disk and one set of 3 disks set as raid 1.
The HBA being used is the one that came with the server it supports SAS or SATA drives but wasn’t as flexible as I would have hoped. ie it does not support raid 5 and it wouldn’t let me split the six drives into two sets of mirrored drives each with its own hot swap. The machine seems to be running slightly faster with this configuration though I haven’t done any benchmarking.
The only thing I should have done is put the /usr mount point onto my SCSI drive
The only trouble I had was getting my server to boot off the Cd Rom or a USB stick changing the BIOS didnt seem to work until I reset the BIOS to its defaults, why I dont know? I ended up booting off a USB Memory stick.
Essentially turning into a doorstop.
Even though I am faced with a screen full of rubbish the machine is actually up and running. So I’ll configure it as a UEC cloud/cluster controller – So I’ve trashed the HD and loaded Ubuntu 10.04 – Bugger this means reconfiguring my server to be a node
Things to remember:
sudo ssh-kegen -R ipaddress will allow you to ssh into the machine after reinstall
rm -rf ~/.Xauthorit* will allow you to run a X off this machine
No more endless downloads, installs and reconfiguration, I’ve managed to make a live CD image of my server OS Ubuntu 10.04 with Apana Rad Rails Ruby MySQL and eclipse they all worked fine even running off a USB stick.
By the end of the day eclipse refused even to start so I decided to trash the server and start from scratch so these are the steps
Boot from the ubuntu 10.04 upgrade cd
choose cloud install install the server
boot into the server upgrade the system
sudo upgrade -f
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install gdm – # not req loads nothing
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start # will start the desktop
open a command prompt type sudo halt now #does a hard reboot
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -f
sudo apt-get install eclipse
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
mysql -p -u root
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON star.star TO lsamuel@localhost IDENTIFIED BY ‘my$ecret’;
Follow these steps to have a fresh installation of Ruby on Rails in Ubuntu 10.04: No as easy as this suggests
apt-get install build-essential
apt-get install ruby
tar zxvf rubygems-1.3.6.tgz
gem install rails
Installing MySQL gem:
apt-get install ruby-dev libmysql-ruby
gem install mysql # this reports errors and
Install eclipse sudo apt-get install eclipse
Install rad rails from software manager
Open eclipse and install the aptava plugin
Install all the gems
Change you password in the dbyam file
Run the scaffold and db migrate tasks and cross your fingers it worked for me after a bit of fiddling I’ve still got a fonts issue and maybe a dictionary issue frame works highlighting spelling issues but it works
Next install Passenger
gem install passenger
// will error with missing modules just continue and follow on screen instructions
add the displayed info to the appache2.conf and httpd.conf files
Important read this ->http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guide%20Apache.html
- change all folder file permissions to the location of the rails public and config folders
- rake dbmigrate RAILS_ENV=production
start and stop appache and test it should now work
Hopefully the lessons learned and documented here will serve me well getting back a working Development server should it crash and my backup not work again. I now have a ubuntu 10.04 server running gnome from here I:
First update java jrs and java jdk
sudo add-apt-repository “deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner”
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
- Installed eclipse from the software center) this installs a whole heap of stuff (note dont choose and Java)
- Install Ruby 1.9 full install (from software centre)
- Install MySql Server, Administrator & client (from software centre)
- Install emma
- Install Ruby Gems then Reboot #this is where things start to get a bit messy my instructions say to do this as root, this is not good practice and isn’t as easy to do in 10 so I’ll try and install it instead
- from package manager install rad rails started eclipse and still no rails option
- start eclipse and from the help menu choose install new software and enter http://download.aptana.org/tools/studio/plugin/install/studio as the plug in site note dont run in background and choose to restart and then reboot – while I was waiting I decided to see what apache2 was putting out – its defaulting to https and showing the cloud EC2 login thats a major departure from the node set up which I previously had and is going to require some configuration the default page is showing as :8443/#login
- start eclipse and install aptana rad rails from the My Studio pane which you should now see
- restart eclipse and install go file new project select rails install all suggested gems (I’m not sure about mongrel) next select Mysql as database type generate a test project and hit run – rails will error (may be it did for me)
- open a command window and type sudo gem install -v-2.2.3 rails take your time it will take several minutes to respond
This will be a good time to take a break I’ve been at it five hours- Aptana Rad rails is running in web brick next to sort out db connectivity and sort out appache
when generating test app raails complained about a missing gem mysql which refused to load until I ran
sudo apt-get install ruby-dev and then running sudo gem install mysql
and the backup didnt work so its back to the start for the server
I down loaded the CD off the ubuntu site booted from it installed the server’ what a task the instructions for setting up a desktop on the server just didnt want to work so I tried – it took four installs before I actually got it to start the -f option and a hard boot along with fixing broken packages (menu choice on boot) seams to have worked
sudo apt-get upgrade note use the -f use the option
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install gdm
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
#note do a hard boot got rid of the display problem
The good news is squirrelmail is able to access my email (at least from my local network via the internet I need to open ports on my router and server fire wall) so to summerise so far I have
A server and a laptop running Linux Ubuntu 9.1
the laptop is an EC2 controller
The server an EC2 node http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/
Also on the server:
I’ve set up a web server Apache2
I’ve also got OpenFire – a XMPP or Jabber server
I’ve set up a secure mail server
Courier IMAP +
TLS + SquirelMail + Postgrey
I’ve set up a web development environment
phpmyAdmin / Mysql
In short I’ve everything required to run a medium sized business and its free!
Everything is working together with no apparent conflicts its cost me nothing except time and a little effort.
The next stage of the project is to start developing some Rails applications and to do that I need to sort out a secure authentication scheme and integrate it from the start rather than bolt it on later.
I’ve now got a secure email server running with encryption between both the servers and clients using TSL. The next step is to get webmail working via squirrel mail this is going to be a little more complicated due to the fact that like phpmyadmin I am going to have to use a different port I’m going to try the same port number
So far I’ve uncommented the virtual hosts and added
I’ve left uncommented the Alias /squirrelmail /usr/share/squirrelmail
Turned off my firewall and tried to get to the logon page and it works!
as you can see it has taken me 4 days to get a basic internal email server up and running, its now sending and receiving email. Now for stage two – setting up anti virus scanning, spam assassin, web mail and alsa.
The good news its free, I have unlimited email accounts, with no mail box or attachment size restrictions.
Digitally Personified (heterotically degenerated) has gotten 33 cheers on this goal.
- Kristina cheered this 1 month ago
- Amy Two cheered this 9 months ago
- squeryl cheered this 13 months ago
- jimrin cheered this 19 months ago
- Rhoswen cheered this 23 months ago
- In It For The Gravitas cheered this 23 months ago
- sitruunapuu cheered this 23 months ago
- yogamom cheered this 2 years ago
- starrynight794 cheered this 2 years ago
- Anoschen cheered this 2 years ago
- inner guru cheered this 2 years ago
- nananaina cheered this 2 years ago
- seasonal cheered this 2 years ago
- blueberryKiss cheered this 2 years ago
- 943 cheered this 2 years ago
- Janelle Sennert cheered this 2 years ago
- orangeflamingo cheered this 3 years ago
- bp cheered this 3 years ago
- Quinn cheered this 4 years ago
- Amy J cheered this 4 years ago
- CristynAnn cheered this 4 years ago