I moved here a little over a year ago and I am SO ready to leave. On the surface it seems like a great place, its not until you live here for a while until you see how truely awful it really is. The housing market is good, I bought a beautiful 4 bedroom house for 150K, its the only thing I will miss.
So whats wrong with Memphis?
1. The people, they are okay if you are willing to be JUST like they are (ie. Prejudiced Church-going Baptist Nascar Fans who go to the strip bars on Friday night). I have met a few nice people here but they are few and far between.
2. The Politics – The worst school system I have EVER seen in my life. Most of the teachers cant even speak correct English.
3. The crime! Its everywhere. If you move here plan on living in a gated community and then have a security system.
4. The weather, if its not humid and hot its cold and wet. There are a few nice days in the spring though.
5. VERY few good jobs. In this town if you don’t know somebody or are something in high demand (like an RN) you might have a hard time getting a job.
6. Very few good educational opportunities. The higher education system here is sparse.
7. The racism and intolerance. In my opinion the Whites and the blacks are both very prejudiced in this city. Racism permeates this city. Sad.
So if thats not enough to dissuade you from moving here, the taxes are also very high. The highway system is atrocious, people can’t drive here and everyone drives while talking on the cell phone. Oh, and Memphis has the worst customer service I have ever seen in my entire life. But if any of this appeals to you let me know I will glad you sell you my house!