4. Listening to the breeze gently rustling leaves
5. I LOVE mountains
6. Love nature
7. Full moon
9. The smell and sound of rain.
10. The smell of lemongrass
11. birds singing every morning in the garden.
12. Love the red-eyed bulbul who calls for fruit I give every day. He is getting quite tame. Always chatters with every mouthful – mmm heavenly, yum, oh divine mmm mmm mmm.
13. Love watching family of 3 meerkats sunning themselves next to the pool, lying flat on their stomachs.
14. Observing the gecko just outside the kitchen window hunting moths every night.
15. Being in the veld, the air fresh and clean, no other sounds but nature itself.
16. Living in Africa, more specifically, in Namibia with its biodiversity, and Windhoek nestled in between ranges of mountains.
17. Love bookshops and browsing new books. It’s like discovering new worlds.
18. Love the power and magic of words.
19. I adore miniature flowers with all their perfection.
20. Love listening to the poetical way in which Dave Pepler presented a nature program, Groen.
21. Would have to be surgically removed from my iPad.
22. My mother has a way of presenting family history as a well written story, mingle with a sprinkle of tears, sighs of exasperation and liberal helpings of laughter and serve warm.
23. My mother taught us to talk to cats and dogs – it’s like connecting on an entirely different level.
24. My son’s dry sense of humor.
25. The way my younger sister listens and reacts with great empathy to the people in her life.
26. I love the movie pan’s labyrinth.
27. The warm voice of Clarissa Pinkola Estes as she reads on her CDs.
28. Love the voice of Breyten Breytenbach as he recites his poems against a background of music.
29. Love camping in Damaraland, where the stars seem close enough to touch at night.
30. Love the grass, thorn trees and acacias growing freely everywhere in Windhoek. I always feel like I am in nature, and not a city.
31. Love moths – and specifically lunar moths and hummingbird moths.
32. My world would be empty without the white butterflies floating and drifting everywhere after the rains.
Linette van der Merwe's Life List
1. I want to be a sucessfull writer
2. be loved
3. loose weight
4. Deal with ADHD and hopefully get back on track
5. decide what the hell I would like to do with the rest of my life
6. get out of debt
7. find the career that fits my skills, natural talents and passion
8. stop procrastinating
9. identify 100 things that make me happy.
10. go on a road trip with no predetermined destination