1) To the gym! My waistline is thanking me by being 2” smaller since I began this nonsense.
2) Watching an interesting TED Talk on self-control and motivation.
3) Stevie Wonder joining me for my cardio today.
4) Back to work tomorrow! I’m a bit nervous, as I always am at the start of a new school year.
5) Purple shoes and purple shirt.
6) Dinner with V after work this evening. I like that lady, yes I do.
1) Camp t-shirts are done. Gearing up to go back to work on Monday.
2) Gym. 11 days in a row!
3) A bunch of delicious snack recipes to try, when I can eat such things again.
4) Rediscovering my love for the Jimmy Eat World Bleed American album as well.
5) Getting my socializing in with the Man and his friends, because all my friends are too goddamn busy.
6) Postcrossing cards going out to Russia, Germany, and Croatia (a new one)!
1) Trying two new recipes today. Ginger shrimp and broccoli stir-fry is a keep, tuscan pork skewer was a meh.
2) Doing 50m elliptical and my yin yoga class this afternoon.
3) Remembering how much I love Rancid’s ...And Out Come The Wolves album.
4) Really successful meeting with our new costumer. I like them! They like me! The dresses are going to look amazing!
5) Red shoes and red shirt.
The Dave Ramsey Baby Steps are a pretty decent measure for me to see how I’m doing on my financial journey. I finally finished Step 2 (pay off all debt except mortgage), and now I’m on Step 3, 3 to 6 months of expenses in savings. This one is huge for me, because I lost my job a few years ago, and I was totally unprepared for it, and it was miserable.
The hard part is going to be saving up this cushion while I’m also still trying to save for the wedding. I just set up a recurring transfer to shunt about 15% of my monthly paycheck into the wedding savings, so I’ll need to find somewhere else to make that other money come from. Maybe I’ll just put my paychecks from the church directly into this other savings account; that usually adds up to between $150 and $300 a month.
Also considering reopening my checking account with ING, because they let you create a bunch of sub-accounts in your checking account for free, so you can throw specific allocations to a bunch of places. I hated having to bank in two places though. Maybe I’ll look at opening an account at the teachers’ credit union? Not sure. It was hell getting the church to do direct deposit in the first place, and I’m scared to fuck it up.
Also worth noting: Baby Step 5 (save for kids’ college funds) and Baby Step 6 (pay off your house early) don’t apply to me. Whee! I’ve only got three more steps to deal with.
1) Serendipitous lunch with an old friend (and not with his baby).
2) Making healthy choices at said lunch, despite the abundance of deliciously unhealthy stuff on the menu.
3) No Doubt’s Lookin’ Hot.
4) Trying a new yoga class. It’s not really my style, but I’m proud of myself for making it all the way through, when there were several times I really wanted to give up.
5) My new Fitness Tip Jar.
6) Appointment tomorrow with our new costume guru!
7) Learning what it feels like to eat till I’m satisfied, rather than eating till I’m stuffed.
8) Ordering new books on PaperBackSwap.
1) Zumba, which kicked my ass (as usual). It’s a nice change from the elliptical.
2) Dressing up and doing makeup, just to run around town doing errands. Looking pretty = feeling pretty.
3) A slow cooker full of tasty bits and pieces, which will eventually morph into SB-friendly chili.
4) Seeing progress.
5) Realizing that I am happiest when I am working on a project.
that which gives light, warmth, life.
- August goal of taking better care of myself
- complete my prep for the upcoming semester
- spend some time with friends?
- start saving again in earnest for the wedding
- be wonderful to/with the Man
I recently went to the doctor for my yearly bloodwork and overall checkup. My lipid panel came back much the same as last year (high triglycerides), but this year all of my numbers were higher than last year. That, combined with my weight being higher as well, spurred me to actually do something about all of it.
What I’ve accomplished this week:
- Going to the gym every single day! Mostly cardio on the elliptical, a bit of yoga. I do some light weights at home.
- Got a second set of gym clothes, because I need another set if I’m going to the gym every day.
- Beginning the induction phase of South Beach, which is really not so bad outside its lack of fruit (which is brutal). Eliminated all grains and sugars from my eating this week.
- Keeping a food journal, which is making me more aware of portion sizes.
- Purchased a SodaStream machine, which sounds counterproductive until I mention that we’re using it for carbonating water only.
- Got my BMI back inside the “healthy” range, albeit on the very highest side (24.9).
- Made arrangements to have a box of fresh produce from local farmers delivered to our house next week.
- Also got a bunch of silly fun beauty products as a reward for going to the gym every day last week.
First week: success!
1) Day 7 in a row of gym!
2) Blueberry acai lip balm, grapefruit moisturizer, and lemon-mint mudmask as a treat for seven days of gym.
3) Fortuitous happenstance leading to an order of locally-grown fruit and vegetables, to be delivered weekly.
4) A successful meeting with my choreographer today, and touching base with the administration.
5) Happy face stickers on the calendar for every day of sticking to this diet.
6) Goofy decals on my fingernails, and enjoying my last few days of being able to keep my nails somewhat long.
7) Plans for flank steak with chimichurri tonight.
1) The fact that 43T seems to be resuscitated!
2) Day 6 in a row of making it to the gym.
3) Taking care of the t-shirts for show choir camp. I went to a new graphic design place near our house, and the guy was really helpful and nice.
4) Watching the Green Day documentary Cuatro. I was obsessed with them in high school, and it makes me really happy to see what they’re doing 20 years out from their big break.
5) A few new shirts to inject some life into my wardrobe, for not much money.
1) Fourth day of gym in a row.
2) Found some great dresses at Target.
3) Also found some great shoes.
4) Getting the email that my student loans are paid in full.
5) Scheduling a meeting with my choreographer.
1) Making it to the gym TWICE today – once for elliptical, and again for yin yoga.
2) Getting fudgesicles from the store, my one treat.
3) Spending the day with my dad.
4) Car registered!
5) Watching this video which reminded me of a convo I was having with Dharma_Child.
6) Bloodwork came back and says that my thyroid is fine, hooray!
1) Making good food choices today.
2) Catching a new yoga class at the gym. It kinda kicked my ass, which bums me out because I used to be able to do all that stuff. It’s been a while.
3) Car smogged, post mailed, and blood taken this morning.
4) Partying with the parents tomorrow.
1) Going to the gym with the Man today, and not letting slothfulness get the better of me.
2) Completing one of the most extensive meal plans I have ever made, accompanied by the biggest grocery shop I have ever done. Next week: South Beach induction phase. We can survive anything for two weeks, right? Ugh.
3) Postcrossing cards going out to Belarus, Netherlands, and Minnesota.
4) Crossing items off the to-do list.
5) next month’s photo scavenger hunt
6) Beating my silly computer game on a harder setting than I normally use.
26. shorts or a sun dress
My favorite dress this summer (plus bonus mirror dust).
28. something old that you own and value
This is the carving in the top of our coffee table. My mom’s grandfather brought it back with him when he came home after being stationed in Japan. The paint used to be much brighter and prettier, but we figured out the hard way that every time we polish the table, a bit of the paint comes off :(
42. your computer
Old black MacBook (2006, I think?) running in clamshell mode under my external monitor. Wee laptop speaker bar visible under monitor.
43. favorite jewelry
This is my favorite piece of jewelry outside the jewelry in my various piercings. One of my best friends got this for me, and while it wasn’t something I would have chosen for myself, it’s become one of my favorite things to wear.
1) Listening to Goldfinger while cleaning up the kitchen this afternoon.
2) Making a to-do list for the rest of the this week, so I don’t just waste it (like I’ve been doing the last few weeks).
3) Our fat, fat cat.
4) Landlady has promised a lock for the garage door in response to burglary.
5) Gettin’ laundry done.
6) Finishing a really good book, Seven Unholy Days. One of the only five-star book reviews I’ve left on Amazon.
1) That the worthless SOB who burgled our garage last night wasn’t able to get into my car, and didn’t find the spare key that the Man keeps in there.
2) Tasty filet mignon wrapped in bacon, defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch.
3) The Man, for making me feel beautiful even when I know I’m a total ass mess.
4) Plans with my padre for a historical jaunt next week.
5) Ani DiFranco’s Something in the Way. I haven’t felt that way in years, but it’s still a great tune.
Several boats, plus a few kayaks and some paddleboarders, in the canal near our house.
After doing some youtube surfing tonight, I have discovered a troubling trend in the direction that music is taking. More specifically, one of the current “desirable” female voice models makes me really sad.
It’s not that the sound is bad necessarily. I’m just kind of bummed out that I was easily able to find four ladies who sound EXACTLY THE DAMN SAME. Tessa Rose Jackson,Cat Power,Daughter, and Zooey Deschanel are nearly carbon copies of each other.
Sing with YOUR voice. Having a vocal model is fine, but don’t just be a copy. Cat Power was making noise like this back in the mid ‘90s, but that unsupported, breathy sound seems to have become really popular in the last five years or so (along with its male equivalent, that terrible Bon Iver style of “men in constant falsetto”). Je ne comprends pas.
And now I’m officially old. Damn kids, get off my lawn!
1) Listening to the practice of the flautist across the street. Today she is joined by a clarinet!
2) Baking oatmeal cookies with white chocolate and dried apricots.
3) Choosing not to be upset by several “bad news” emails received today.
4) Oasis’ Don’t Look Back in Anger.
5) Helping out a fellow musician.